Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am just about to start the No-cry Sleep Solution with my 9 1/2 mo old ds. He sleeps one 3 - 4 hr stretch a night and then wakes every 1 - 2 hrs to nurse. I just want to get him to sleep a couple of 4 - 5 hour stretches. I don't care if he still has one or two night wakings, but I'm really sleep deprived. We co-sleep and bf to sleep.

So, I'm going to do my journaling tomorrow night and post it, then make my plan. If anyone's interested in doing this at the same time, cool. IF not, then I'll stop posting.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Good luck!
I used some of NCSS when ds was younger - it helped, but now I am going to order NCSS for Toddlers since ds is nearly 2 and see if I can get him to sleep better. 3-6 nightwakings is better than 10-12 but I would really like 2-3 a night - I have not had a good night sleep in over 2 years!

Roxanne
Daniel 8/9/03

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I'm about to start!
I originally started about a week ago but then DS got sick so I put it off. I'm off to bed now (cranky baby) but will check back on this thread tomorrow. My DS is about the same age as yours, born 9/2/04.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nap log:

One nap, at 1 pm. 3 hrs long, fell asleep nursing.

NIght-waking log:

8:20 fell asleep
9 - 9:05 awake, wanted to nurse
11:15 - 11:45 woke up when I came to bed, wanted to nurse
1:10 - 1:30 cried to be nursed
1:35 -- I dreamt he woke up and that I wrote it in my log :LOL
3 - 3:30 -- crawled onto me to be nursed
4:10 - 4:15 stirred and nursed to sleep
4:55 - 5:05 woke up to nurse
5:50 woke up crying with gas and to nurse
6:30 up for the day.

Asleep time: 8 hrs
Awake time: 2 hrs
Total wakings: 7
Longest sleep span: 2hrs 15 min.

As you can see, we have some work to do.

Thanks for joining me, Lady Bug!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I read the book a while ago, but never implemented it.

How do you log? Do you write it at night, or try to remember for the morning? I don't have a night stand (crib is there, even though DD doesn't sleep in it). We also usually fall back to sleep while nursing. Do you just force yourself to stay awake?

Laura

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A few days late is cool, I think this is kind of a longish term thing anyway.

Um, for the log I kept a notebook and a pen in bed with me and forced myself to stay awake and scribble notes. I am really tired today because of it. Also, I lost the notebook for a while and I thought it was down the side of the bed, but ds was sleeping on it.

So basically you log one day / night and then you make a plan based on the suggestions in the book and start to follow it the next day. You're not allowed to log again for 10 days because it's a gradual process rather than an instant thing.

Our plan includes trying to introduce a lovey, getting him to sleep during naps in different ways (the stroller and backpack carrier), trying to Gently REmove him from the breast after he nurses so he'll learn to fall asleep without it, and implementing a bed time routine.

Andrew had two good naps today, but then it took him 2 hrs to fall asleep tonight. And I had to remove him from the breast, like, 5 times. Oh well, day 1 in a long process of learning and change.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Here is our log:

Nap log
8:55-11:15

1:30-1:55

4:25-5:45

Sleep Log
Fell asleep at 8:30
2:00-2:15 awake rocked to sleep
3:00-4:15 up to nurse and then walked, rocked, etc to sleep (finally)
4:45-4:55 awake, rocked to sleep
5:30-5:45 awake, brought her to bed with us
6:50 up for the day

Asleep time 8.0h
Awake time 2h25m
Total wakings 4
Longest sleep span 5.5h

What is going on in that early morning time??? Is my babe a rooster in a former life :LOL Much work to be done understanding all this!!

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I'm not really keeping a log, so to speak, as my goals are a little bit different.
DS only wakes up once or twice at night, but I would like to get him to be able to nap without me some days and to be able to start off the night in his crib. My DH will be deployed in the not-so-distant future and I need to be able to get some stuff done around the house while DS is asleep.

I'm working on a bedtime routine, I think that will help us a lot. Right now DS tends to stay up until about 11 pm and sleep in until 10 or so. As a result he usually naps pretty late in the day. He'll usually take a quick nap around 11:30 or 12, then a longer one around 3. If I nap with him then he'll nap for about 3 hours. As you can see, I need to shift this whole process so it occurs earlier in the day!

I think naps are going to be the hardest for us.

more later.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
We'll join you too. I have a 15 month old dd. We have major problems waking at night (10-15 times a night), but we also have an interesting problem that I don't think is adressed in the book. MY daughter becomes very violent at bed time. She hits, screams, pinches, kicks, what ever she can do that's unpleasant. I could handle it if it lasted 15 minutes or half an hour, but no, this goes on for an hour or two. She's never been a good sleeper and never good at going to sleep, but it's just getting worse. I found a trick though... I'm not sure what I think about it as we usually don't do TV much or anything... if I play video games in the living room and totally ignore her at bed time, she will pinch me a few times then crawl ontop of me and fall asleep, then I move her to our bed. I know this is an aweful way to do it, but I'm at the end of my rope and that's the only thing that I've found that works. If any of you have any ideas for alternatives (books don't work, nor does any interaction)I would greatly appreciate it. I'm starting my log tonight, I'll post it tomorrow.
Mother Whimsey

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Well it wasn't too terrible of a night, but it wasn't restful either.

Nap: 1hr 15 min

Night:
8:15-9:30 asleep
9:30-9:32 Crying, comforted her
9:32-10:13 asleep
10:13-10:15 crying, comforted her
10:15-10:33 asleep
10:33-10:35 crying, rolled her over
10:35-11:45 asleep
11:45-11:50 Crying and thrashing, went back to sleep on own
11:50-2:39 asleep
2:39-3:40 whining, crying, discomfort. Nursed, comforted, moved from pallet to our bed
3:40-3:50 asleep
3:50-4:35 Crying, whining, etc... nursed, comforted
4:35-5:15 asleep
5:15-5:20 crying, comforted her
5:20-6:30 asleep
6:30-6:34 crying, comforted her
6:34-7:06 asleep
7:06 up for the day

Total asleep hrs: 8hrs 46 mins.
Total awake hrs: 2hrs 5 mins.
Total awakenings: 8
Longest streach of sleep: 2hrs 49 mins.
Total nap hrs: 1hr 15 mins.

so am I not supposed to log for how long? I need to find a copy of the book.

Mother Whimsey

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome, Courey! That sounds brutal. I am amazed at your patience.

So, you log every 10 days, and then after you log you re-evaluate and change your plan as needed.

Actually, in The Baby Book, Dr. Sears says to do just what you're doing with a toddler who won't go to sleep. Just ignore them and let them crash out on their own. I would think (and I am no expert with my entire 9 1/2 mos of experience
) as long as you have a ritual before you get to the video game time so that she starts to associate sleep with the ritual, ending with you playing video games, then maybe eventually she'll sleep after the ritual.

So, I'm at day 6 now, and Andrew has twice settled himself back to sleep or just settled with a little pat on the tummy instead of nursing. This is a major accomplishment for us! The Gentle Removal thing is working, after much frustration and sometimes up to 30 min. of removing him, and him rooting or grabbing the breast and pulling it back in to his mouth over and over.

My question, though, is this: So you do the bedtime ritual. You end up in the quiet room, nursing the baby to sleep, giving the little back rub, etc, etc, and baby is just not buying it. What then? Do I get back up with him? Do I justl mellow out in bed and let him crawl around or walk or whatever? I've been getting back up and doing another sling walk or some more books or sitting in the swivel chair watching the screensaver. But is that going to become part of the ritual eventually? If we just stay in bed it turns into a battle of the wills and we both get frustrated and he starts screaming and getting upset. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
obviously I'm not an expert at night time parenting... but I think making her stay in bed when she was tired and not wanting to go to sleep might be where the bed time violence started. I thought if I let her get up and play more, then she would always whine at night and not go to bed. Now just letting her do her thing is all that works. So I don't know the official answer for that, but I'd say it's better to let them get up if they aren't ready so they don't fight so much when you do put them down.
Hope that helps,
Courey

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
i'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but dr. jay gordon has this to say..."I don't recommend any forced sleep changes during the first year of life. Probably the only exception to this would be an emergency involving a nursing mom's health. There are many suggestions in books and magazines for pushing "sleeping through the night" during a baby's early months or during the first year. I don't think this is the best thing to do and I am quite sure that the earlier a baby gets "non-response" from parents, the more likely he is to close down at least a little."
don't mean to be a downer...just adding another perspective.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There are many suggestions in books and magazines for pushing "sleeping through the night" during a baby's early months or during the first year. I don't think this is the best thing to do and I am quite sure that the earlier a baby gets "non-response" from parents, the more likely he is to close down at least a little."
don't mean to be a downer...just adding another perspective.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that.

I don't know that I'm actually trying to get Andrew to "sleep through the night", just to be able to settle himself a little more so I can be somewhat lucid during the day.. I am still responding to him, just not immediately responding with the breast. But since we are co-sleeping and I am still right there, I don't see patting him on the tummy or having him cuddle in next to me himself as a "non-response".

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
no problem...trust me when i say that i feel your pain! i pondered the same seemingly easy fix. for some reason i didn't and lo and behold damien started sleeping through the night around 21 months old entirely on his own
and i feel *so* happy that he had the chance to decide on his own that he was ready for that next step.
i clearly can't dictate what you need in your life, just that there is light at the end of this tunnel.

·
Banned
4,712 Posts
Well, I confess I haven't read much of the book yet, but I did start a log...in my head (lol!). Gah, I am so tired!!!!

9pm-fell asleep on lap

10:26 pm- awake, fussy

12:37 pm, finally asleep again!

3:23am, awake, nursed back to sleep

5:11 am, awake, nursed again/gave pacifier (I'm not sure which I did...)

7:03 am, awake, comforted back to sleep

8:00 am awake, nursed back to sleep

10:32am up for the day

4:15 pm nap

4:45pm awake again

9:05 pm fell asleep nursing

10:07 awake, nursed back to sleep

Total asleep time...I'm too tired to figure it out...aprox 12 hours but I can't remember how long she was up with each waking, so maybe it's more like 11 hours. It isn't the amount of sleep, it's the broken sleep that's getting me.

..and she is still out. Let's pray for a good night. This here very fussy teething baby has me wanting to tear out my hair!!!!! If it weren't for co sleeping, I don't know what I would do o_O

And, I don't want her to sleep through the night...but getting up every 2-3 hours EVERY SINGLE NIGHT for months on end is enough to make anyone go INSANE. Especially the 3am business.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts