Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I make infant/toddler shirts and have several designs/slogans in the works.<br>
I am thinking of starting out with just one (my favorite) and seeing if I can get it in to local shops and wholesale to web store owners.<br><br>
Are there any downsides to starting out this small and adding product choices as I financially can?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Hello!<br>
Do you mean you use ready made shirts and print your design or do you sew them yourself? I used to have a t-shirt store w/ slogans, and now sell children's more decorative stuff on hyenacart. When it was slogans, I found I had about three best sellers and I think that gives retailers just enough choice to see if they are interested. Of course, you can always gauge interest with the first design.

·
Registered
157 Posts
For one, it depends on what your minimum order will be for the stores. Most small stores don't want to carry a lot of the same item; they'd rather have 6 each of 4 different items than 24 of the same thing, unless it's already a proven success. This is especially true if you want them to purchase upfront, rather than carrying your product on consignment.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I use ready-made shirts.<br>
That is really good information from both of you.<br><br>
I was definitely going to have lots of color choices of the same slogan and make the minimum be kind of low.<br><br>
I was also thinking that I could just make a flyer with all the choices and send those out to potential clients and see what the interest is from that standpoint instead of just having tons of inventory. I can get shirts printed fairly quickly and could have them made to order.<br><br>
Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have a friend who runs differentdigs.com and she only does her shirts wholesale. She keeps nothing in stock, and has a few retailers that order from her. She has minimums of I think 12 per slogan. I don't think it's a good idea to keep inventory - that's why I went to hyenacart with my stuff. I just print up some things that I'm currently inspired with and if people want them in the sizes I have offered, then great!<br>
My advocacy store I actually printed each shirt to order, but if you're having to pay someone to print them that isn't really an option. They'll have their own minimums you have to go by. Another thing, I found that baby sizes do not sell well - 12-18 months was my biggest selling size, followed by 2T.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting Marisa, I wonder why baby sizes don't sell well. I was really thinking about getting some 0-3 since american apparel has finally started selling some in a few colors. I was thinking the newborn baby gift thing might be big.<br>
I can't remember what sizes I sold best but I do remember some people requesting larger sizes for the breastfeeding advocacy.<br>
I will most definitely have 6-12 available.<br>
Heck, I guess I can have all available for order.<br>
Luckily my screen printer doesn't have a minimum although I'm sure he would charge a set-up fee for too small an order.<br><br>
I don't want inventory around my house or kids so probably I will do the same thing as your friend.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Seems if you were printing something about birth or homebirth, I think baby sizes would do well. I had a shirt that said, no formula for me, thanks! and kind of meant that to be a newborn shirt, but most people got it in 12 mo?!<br><br>
Who knows? This was in 2002 and it may be a different market now!<br><br>
And inventory, with my 3 kids, disastrous things would happen to my stock. And my house is too small to have bins of that stuff lying around.<br><br>
Best of luck with your venture! I'm glad you found a good printer!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts