Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

DD turned 6 months yesterday and we started giving her tiny mashed pieces of banana, sweet potato, and carrot a couple days ago. Well it's now obviously coming out in her diaper. Do I need to rinse this off before I throw it in the wash? If not, when do I need to start rinsing? How do I rinse them off? Anyone who uses sprayers, which ones do you like?

Sorry for so many questions but the time is here.

Thanks,

Amber

· Registered
1,817 Posts
We didn't want to mess with diaper sprayers, so we discovered the joys of diaper liners.
: I really can't recommend them enough; just a thin piece of fabric - they look like dryer sheets - and they go right over the target area.
The brand we use can even be washed (we wash the ones that just get peed on, we flush the ones with poo)!
They come in a roll of 100, we cut ours in half and get twice the use out of them.

· Registered
557 Posts
You can start rinsing whenever you feel it's necessary...not really a right or wrong answer there, from what I've read. I highly recommend a sprayer. I bought this one:

http://www.abbyslane.com/catalog.php...category%3D497

and absolutely love it. Worth every penny, although not really that expensive to begin with. I just hold the dipe in the toilet with one hand, and blast the poop off with the sprayer using the other. Wring the dipe out and throw in the pail. Nice thing is that the cold water keeps the stains from setting. If it's a particularly nasty poop, I sometimes wear rubber gloves that I keep by the pail.

· Registered
158 Posts
I dont know if anyone else does this, but we just keep a little bottle of detergent (hypo alergenic, no dyes etc) by our changing station and when we get a poopy one, we just pour a little on the poopy parts. They come super clear and never have any stains. We use fuzzi bunz too so the fleece seems to hold up well -

· Registered
2,881 Posts
I used the Imse Vimse liners, they were great. They last for many many washes when its just pee, once in a very long while we'd have one finally disintegrate but I got a lot of use out of them first. And they keep the diaper pail really pretty poopless. I never rinsed or had a sprayer, so I can't compare, but when I discovered those liners, ooh, it was such a giant improvement. If you are opposed to any throwaway stuff, I'd try a fleece liner and then you have a lot less to rinse than a whole diaper.

· Registered
1,056 Posts
I have a poop spatula. Gross, but effective. I scoop off as much poop as posible and flush it, then rinse the rest in the sink, then into the diaper pail it goes to await a wash.

· Registered
1,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovin_Life View Post
Thanks for all of your replies!!
:

Do I need to start rinsing or using liners if the poop looks like normal bf poop but with little pieces of fruit and veggie in it or will this just wash out?
Occasionally, I'll find a stray bit of veggie or something in the washing machine. (Maybe once or twice a month, and I wash every other day.) But a stray piece here or there is fine with me, when compared to having to spray or dunk or scrape or whatever.

I do one rinse cycle, and then my machine shuts off, and I go back to the machine to make sure all of the inserts have come out of the diapers (I don't pull inserts out either; 90% of them come out on their own in the first rinse) and pour in detergent and start the hot wash. So I'm digging around in the washer to make sure the inserts are out, and I would say 95% of the bits are gone by that point. (I feel so scientific with all of these estimations. :p )

The worst "remains" I have ever had were always when my DD (now 3, not in diapers anymore) would eat popcorn. My lint trap was always covered in the little skins.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.