Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies,

I just went for my 36 week OB appt today and he confirmed that baby is indeed head down and ready to go. Up until now, I was convinced she was breech and that I'd end up having another section. Even though I'm planning a VBAC, I think I subconsciously thought it wouldn't really happen. Well, now it's becoming a reality that I am indeed going to try for a VBAC. it IS what I truly want, but man, I'm scared! I had a seriously traumatic birth experience with DD1, ending in an emercency section. I'm terrified that it's going to happen again.

I know there's a VBAC board that I should post this on, but I wanted to post here instead. So...any words of encouragement? Positive stories to ease my mind a big?

·
Registered
7,279 Posts

If it helps, there's a hypnobabies track for vbac mamas that you can buy online (I think like $15?). If nothing else it might help you get in a good mind-state for it?

My friend had a VBAC and said that the hospital's vbac success rate (for the hospital she went to) was 75%... which interestingly enough, was better than their overall vaginal birth rate (I think they're around 30-something % for cesareans, but only 25% of their vbac mamas end in cesarean). I thought that was some pretty good odds! She was thinking they were pretty terrible odds until i pointed out that one in 4 mothers in the united states has a cesarean, anyway...

She went on to have a successful VBAC

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I don't really have much to contribute - this is my first attempt at a VBAC too. Maybe you should find some VBAC birth stories to read. I always find them inspiring. I've been hanging out a bit in the April DDC, and they currently have a thread there cheering each other on.

·
Registered
293 Posts
No real words of widom here.

I'm trying for Vbac as well, and a little nervous too. I'm just trying to remember that each pregnancy and delivery is different. Just because the last one was bad, doesn't mean this one has to be.
If this helps I'm loving this book right now, there are some wonderful stories and good advice here.
]http://http://www.amazon.ca/Ina-Mays-Guide-...5901136&sr=1-1
Hugs to you!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I remember reading Birthing From Within and seeing a section discussing the feelings involved with getting to a certain point in labor (like the last time) and then seeing yourself getting past it with a positive outcome. There's much more to it than that, but that's the gist.

ICAN is a great organization too with lots of support and VBAC stories.

I wish you all well. I can only imagine the emotions tied to birth and the fear that may be present. I think acknowledging them and working through them with someone may be really beneficial.

Amy

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
One poster said 1 in 4 women in the US has a c-section it's actually 1 in 3 which is quite disturbing!

Anyway this will be my second VBAC. My first labor and birth was traumatic, 23 hours of labor 20 of it was with pitocin. I had an epidural that worked on my left leg. During pushing the nurse was giving me a perineal massage that I didn't want. I had to beg her to remove her hand from my vagina. I felt sexually assaulted. I pushed for 2 hours with a posterior baby and ended up passing out from exhaustion and hunger. Which lead me straight to the OR. I begged to see my baby for hours after they cut him out of me. The nurses felt gossip was far more important than me being allowed to bond with my newborn. The trauma didn't end there but continued until we left the hospital. I suffered PTSD, and PPD all alone and in silence. It took a lot to heal. Birthing from within was a crucial tool in being able to want to concieve again.

My second birth was interesting. I felt very much like a first time mom. I chose a homebirth and had an amazing midwife supporting me and helping me. It was a boring pregnancy and I had a pregnancy buddy due just a month before me also planning a VBAC with the same midwife. When my time came I was already nearly completely effaced and had a couple cms. It started with bloody show. I expected contractions to start but they didn't so I was kind of grumpy. If I had known what this meant for me I would have called my midwife to come sleep at our house since she lived about an hour away.
Labor began at midnight. Right at 5 minutes apart. I made the calls and was excited that I'd probably have a baby in the afternoon. Haha well an hour after the 1am phone calls I hit transition and decided i needed a nap and to get that meant epidural. My DH could not reason with me. It took me 30 minutes to get to our car after I got dressed. We got into the hospital and scared security, the admissions, and nurses. I spent More time checking in then I did giving birth. A nurse ran me upstairs leaving my family in the dust. I had to be convinced to get in the bed, totally unappealing, and then I was checked. When she said 10cm I started pushing, thankfully DH and DS were already there. There catchers barely made it. DS2 was born with 10 minutes of pushing! What a polar opposite birth from my first!

So I'm excited and nervous to see where this birth will take me.

You can do this! Sending lots of
your way and hoping you can have an equally comical and healing birth. When I look back that birth was so funny, so healing, and filled with joy. Even if I do call it the trainwreck!

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Right of Passage View Post
One poster said 1 in 4 women in the US has a c-section it's actually 1 in 3 which is quite disturbing!

You're right...

I was telling her this a few years ago, and i may have had my numbers off then. I've heard it's as high as 36% recently...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.