Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sweet dd weaned herself about 2 months ago. She will be 3 in a week. I must admit I have been happy/sad about it. Nursing while pregnant was very uncomfy for me. My milk dried up and I was drinking a herbal infusion to have the wee bit I did, not to mention my very sensitive breasts. Anyway, she decided she was done and wanted to save the milk for baby. I told her there was enough for both but she wasn't interested anymore. I have been feeling so seperate from her, she has become a big time Dadda's girl, always wanting him to lay with her to sleep or whatever. This is good in so many ways as I am about to become very busey with baby. I suppose its a natural progression.

Anyway, has anyone ever had a child start nursing again after baby's born?? We are due at the end of september. I am totally open to her starting again if she wants, although I have a feeling she won't. But then again I thought she'd nurse till she was 20...lolol

·
Registered
14 Posts
In my experience, kids forgetting how to nurse has been a myth. I nursed my oldest child till I was about 7 months pregnant and my milk dried up. I thought he had completely forgotten. Then about a month after his borhter was born he had a very hard day and I couldnt' get him to calm down and finally I offered him the breast. He took it and I ended up tandem nursing for the next 3 months. So he had 3 months of no breast, then started back up again. My current nurser also stopped for a couple months after he turned 2 then started back up again and is still nursing at 3. I totally cried and was so upset when my 3 year old stopped (then 2 y/o) because it's the first time that i haven't been pregnant or nursing in many years. With him I had promised myself that i wasn't going to get pregnant again so my milk wouldn't dry up so I could let him wean himself. So I'm glad he started back up.

Eva

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was so surprised how much I miss nursing her! She'll be 3 in 6 days but she still is such a sweet baby. I guess she seems so much younger to me cause I now have this big 8 year old girl who is very much not a baby anymore.

I'm kinda hoping she will start again, but I'll understand if she doesn't. Funny...when I first had kids I never thought I'd ever worry about something like this!! It amazing how much changes as children grow and time passes. You realize how little time we actually have before their all grown up!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
My current nurser also stopped for a couple months after he turned 2 then started back up again and is still nursing at 3.

I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me a bit more about this...do you think it was a nursing strike? how did your child get back to the breast after two months? I'm having such a hard time right now with my 15-month-old daughter's nursing strike. She went from 4-5 nursings per day to none at all when she got sick about ten days ago. I'm trying different things but my biggest fear is that she'll just forget what breastfeeding is all about. I'm encouraged by your story and would love any details that may help me. I haven't given hope that she'll go back to nurse!

I totally cried and was so upset when my 3 year old stopped (then 2 y/o)

Gosh, I'm upset and cry too. This is really hard on me. I really don't think either of us is ready to stop the nursing relationship!
:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavinmama
My current nurser also stopped for a couple months after he turned 2 then started back up again and is still nursing at 3. I totally cried and was so upset when my 3 year old stopped (then 2 y/o) because it's the first time that i haven't been pregnant or nursing in many years. With him I had promised myself that i wasn't going to get pregnant again so my milk wouldn't dry up so I could let him wean himself. So I'm glad he started back up.

Eva
I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me a bit more about this...do you think it was a nursing strike? how did your child get back to the breast after two months? I'm having such a hard time right now with my 15-month-old daughter's nursing strike. She went from 4-5 nursings per day to none at all when she got sick about ten days ago. I'm trying different things but my biggest fear is that she'll just forget what breastfeeding is all about. I'm encouraged by your story and would love any details that may help me. I haven't given hope that she'll go back to nurse!

sorry for the repeat post, but I didn't get the quote to work last time (I'm new here!), so I wanted to make sure my post made sense within its context!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts