Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone!

Would anyone be interested in having a weekly thread where we can just talk about anything (keeping it related to duties we do while staying at home, questions, etc)?

We could share recipes, our parenting joys and frustrations, ask for advice.

There would be no commitment to anything - just pop in any time you have a minute or want to share/vent/ask a question.

Just looking to have a little "community" here on the boards!

If you are interested, feel free to join me here in this thread - post away!

(Obviously, we can still post new threads as well!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hi, I'm interested.
I don't use the site too much anymore, but it's always nice to see a few active threads.
How was Mother's Day for everyone?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes please.

I'm super isolated and this group makes up the bulk of my socializing. (Which is probably why I'm so chatty.^_^)

My Mother's Day was uneventful. Because it was my daughters bday the next day everyone forgot.
I did get a call from my godchild. Which warmed my heart as she is graduating college next week. (Like all college students, her call had an agenda but I was glad to be of service.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yay, mamapigeon and mamaprovides! Thanks for joining!

That's too bad about everyone forgetting it was Mother's Day - hopefully you still had a good day!

As for me, I live in the same area as both my mother and my mother-in-law (and now my husband's grandmother, too), so the day was spent going from place to place to make sure everyone was celebrated.

We went to a plant sale this morning, and then I got my vegetable gardens planted this afternoon. Tomatoes, green peppers, hot peppers, and eggplants joined the lone strawberry survivor from last year, plus the lettuce and swiss chard that my daughter and I planted a few weeks ago. Hopefully it all grows nicely!

Anyone else do a garden?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I pretend to garden. We did some hardscaping so we are starting new.

I have containers with strawberries.
And we just did the lashing for the tipi...but since we are about to take a break from school (thus not painting a canvas) we planted pole beans and about the plant the 3 sisters.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Sorry about everyone forgetting Mother's Day, mamaprovides. Sounds like you've got a good garden going.

BombleMomble, what a great plant sale! It sounds like you found some great plants there.

I enjoy gardening too, but I only got my seeds going today. Lettuce, cucumbers, zucchini, and tomatoes. I'm hoping to get some more in the ground soon, or I'll have to resort to buying starts.
Lost about 80 strawberry plants that I waited too long to transplant, so I'll need to get some replacements. I started with 12 plants 2 years ago, and man, did they multiply, so I'm not too worried about starting over.

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
I'm interested!

I got a few herbs and strawberry plants for Mother's Day and dh made me two planter beds for them. We are experimenting with sun direction and length as we live in a coastal town and have a new home. We may need a cloche .
Hi everyone!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone hand-wash dishes and would be willing to describe their washing routine? We do have a dishwasher, but we hand-wash our good knives, pots and pans, plastics, etc. And I hate washing dishes! Ha ha!

I am fine at getting the dishes clean, it's just a matter of establishing a routine of doing them. Do you wash your dishes every day? Every meal? Do you dry them, or let them drip-dry? Do you leave your drying rack out on the counter, or do you hide it away between washing times?

I know that if I just did the dishes every day, that it would take a lot less time to wash than when I let the plastics pile up, or the pots and pans pile up. But I just hate doing it! I've been thinking about switching out most of my plastic containers for glass/Pyrex - that would probably help - I don't hate washing glass items nearly as much!

Thanks for any tips/advice!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Does anyone hand-wash dishes and would be willing to describe their washing routine? We do have a dishwasher, but we hand-wash our good knives, pots and pans, plastics, etc. And I hate washing dishes! Ha ha!

I am fine at getting the dishes clean, it's just a matter of establishing a routine of doing them. Do you wash your dishes every day? Every meal? Do you dry them, or let them drip-dry? Do you leave your drying rack out on the counter, or do you hide it away between washing times?

I know that if I just did the dishes every day, that it would take a lot less time to wash than when I let the plastics pile up, or the pots and pans pile up. But I just hate doing it! I've been thinking about switching out most of my plastic containers for glass/Pyrex - that would probably help - I don't hate washing glass items nearly as much!

Thanks for any tips/advice!
I do a preliminary hand wash,then put them in the dishwasher for the deep cleaning/sanitation.

Getting rid of all plastics for Pyrex/glassware was the best decision i ever made in regards to dishes. Plus it's so much healthier since glass is inert and won't leech into your food like plastics do. We did it little by little till all the plastic was gone.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I hand wash, ideally after every meal, but midmorning drinks or midafternoon snacks will clear us up. We've not got a dishwasher. Our system needs tweaking but it's SUPPOSED to be 5yo washes breakfast dishes, 7yo washes lunch dishes, 9yo washes supper dishes. They're on board w/ the dishes but somehow don't figure silverware & glasses count, lol.

I end up doing those as I'm the pots & pan scrubber. They just sit in the rack by the sink, I grab a couple of somethings & put them away whenever I go by during the day, but it's seldom emptied all at once. I hate seeing a full rack of clean dishes more than seeing a counter of dirty dishes & I won't begin washing unless it's emptied. I drive my husband nuts, he hates seeing anything on the counter & likes them all piled in the sink. It stays at a fairly constant level though.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
We hand wash whatever won't go in the dishwasher. Most of our plastic stuff will go in though.

I wash up after dinner and, sometimes, after breakfast depending on what needs doing and whether I managed to do it the night before.

I leave things to drip dry unless I need the space, then I'll dry a few things. The dish drainer stays on the sink and the brushes and scourer live in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I clean up the kitchen a bit after every meal/snack/cooking episode. I limit myself to 3-5 minutes each time, prioritizing clean, clear counters. One of the first things I do is put away the dry dishes from the night before. Then I try to wash the non-dishwasher stuff as it comes. DH is in charge of anything leftover at the end of the day, usually all the dishwasher stuff and a few pots from supper making, although I often am able to load most of the dishwasher stuff during the day.

On plastics: I would absolutely love to replace ours. They're impossible to de-grease if I've used them to store anything greasy. That drives me nuts.

My SAHM question - I feel like I am constantly running a race, even though I'm just trying to manage the basics, and our house still always looks like we're in the middle of a move, and I barely have any time for the actual children. How do other people do it? I'm starting to suspect that I might just be slow...

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
I have just committed to using the dishwasher(last year) we have no plastic. And my house is usually clean but I'm fanatic about it. I grew up in a household where everything was disorganized. I do have a hard time keeping all the diapers stuffed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
My SAHM question - I feel like I am constantly running a race, even though I'm just trying to manage the basics, and our house still always looks like we're in the middle of a move, and I barely have any time for the actual children. How do other people do it? I'm starting to suspect that I might just be slow...
I have absolutly felt the same way and i only have one lo. It seems like every moment is busy busy busy and revolves around cleaning in one way or another. I guess that's what you get for cooking all your meals. My lo loves doing chores, squeals of delight,which makes them more enjoyable to do. My solution to free time is letting clothes pile up and doing a ton 1-2times a week. Dishes mainly get piled up and washed at the end of the day. That had freed up a lot of time for me because you don't get ready and do the same task multiple times a day. Plus doing everything at once,you get a rhythm to it and can speed right through. Cooking eats my time up and try as i may,i really can't multi task cooking very well. So i could improve my time management there.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Yes, the cooking is a big part of it. I don't have a very good system for batch cooking yet, and I toss and turn between prioritizing the budget and time and health. Seems I can never master all three. Even when I keep things simple I spend a good 2 hours in the kitchen each day.

I wish I could save things to do in one fell swoop, but our house is so small that it ends up backfiring. There's nowhere to hide the piles of laundry and no cooking space unless I keep up with the dishes. Boo.

What I need to do, but am resisting, is sleep train the baby. She still only sleeps either on me in the bedroom or in her stroller/car. So I go to bed with her at 7:30 every night (hangs head in shame). And nap with her in the bedroom for about an hour a day, too. I do try to use the time for productive stuff - calendar, planning, budgeting, recipe searching, etc. But still. At some point I need to do it. Double boo. I just love the sweetness of her nursing at will as she sleeps.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I found that I didn't really start to get on too of things until recently and DD2 is only just 2.5yo. Sleep-training is not an option for us so I have spent a lot of time over the last 5 years lying down with someone. Although, TBH, the daytime sleeps are a blessing for me and I'll miss them when they end!

When the girls were little I wore them while I cleaned. Now I clean while they are playing - with many interruptions - while they're in the bath (clean the bathroom but I could also fold washing) and when DH takes them both out for a couple of hours I tend to blitz the things which are hard to do with them around, including cooking.

We have also simplified our cooking a lot and try to do things which are easy to prepare and throw in the oven or are quick to prepare and don't need much cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
As a point of MDC pride, I feel like I need to clarify that I don't mean real "sleep training" at all. My DD still spends every nap nursing continuously on a pillow on my lap, and spends the first 3 hours of her night that way, too. Then nurses on and off next to me through the night. When I remember to do it, I can pop her off and she'll nap on the pillow without nursing. And if I can get her to fall asleep next to me instead of in my lap I might be able to sneak away sometimes. Those are my "sleep training" ambitions for the moment. I just keep forgetting to try :)

On the food front, can you share how you simplified at all? Simplifying is not my strong point.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I agree on the feeling of running a race. I'm at the back of the pack it feels like. :)
Dishes that need to be hand washed pile up at my house. I usually wash things like that 2 or 3 times a week, and some weeks we don't have any hand washing to do.

What do all of you do for breakfast? Does the whole family eat the same thing?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
My DD and I used to always eat a cooked breakfast together, though lately I only make it for her since I'm busier with the baby in the mornings. Once baby is on more solids I hope for us to be able to share breakfast again. We do a schedule.

Oatmeal or soaked oats w/blueberries
Toast and eggs w/oranges
Baked good w/scrambled eggs and berry smoothie
Waffles or oatmeal-banana pancakes with cottage cheese
Toast and jam w/peanut butter and apple slices

Weekends we always cook up some oven bacon on Saturdays and usually do buttermilk pancakes or French toast on Sundays.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts