Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DH works offshore. He's gone two weeks, then home two weeks, so we are apart half the time. He calls me every night when he's gone, but since we both have pretty boring lives when we're apart, there's not a whole lot to talk about, and I feel like we've kind of gotten into a rut, just mainly asking each other how our day was and that's it. Since half of our time is spent this way, just talking once a day and having boring conversations even then, it almost feels like I'm only part of a marriage when he's home. So what are some ways that we can stay close when he's gone? He does have Internet access occasionally, but it's during times that I can't get online, and I can't get any mail out to him, so snail mail is out. Any suggestions at all would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
subbing because I'd like some ideas too<br><br>
My DH is gone for the next 8 weeks, he'll be home at the end of March but then back out again first week in April. We too talk every night but it's usually only for a short time because we are both tired and there isn't too much to talk about. We IM sometimes too but to me that's even worse than talking on the phone, it's harder to talk on a computer.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
My dh is a long-haul truck driver, so on average, he's gone for 2 weeks, then home for 2 days! We talk at least once a day on the phone. I don't have any really good ideas - this works well for us, but dh is looking into other job opportunities. He "didn't know what it would be like" to be away from the family for 2 weeks at a time. I want to roll my eyes when he says that, because I knew exactly how hard it would be for him!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts