Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DH has an interview in another city and we thought all 3 of us would go & make a weekend trip out of it. We want to stay on the beach & looking for a hotel, but I'm not sure we're ready to all sleep in the same room. DS will be 11 months old & currently sleeps in his crib in his own room. I don't think it will be a whole lot of fun if DH & I have to tip toe around the room if we're all together. So, I thought about getting two connecting rooms, but unsure if that is OK to do or not?

·
Registered
616 Posts
i once babysat 4 crazy kiddos in a hotel room that was connected with the other hotel room and the door between was shut and we were locked out of one of the rooms. thank god none of the kids were in there. but there was stuff we needed in there and the hotel took forever to come up with the dohickey to get us back in. anyway, should go fine just be careful. we stayed in a hotel with my 11mo last weekend. it was a tiny historic hotel and we had a rollaway bed that we sandwiched between the wall and the other bed frame for him to sleep on while we were up. but he is a cosleeper so it was pretty typical for him.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
You might look for a suite hotel. Just check that it's really two completely separate rooms with a door between them before you book. Some "suites" just have a partial wall separating the two areas.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Definitely a suite. DH and I stayed in a hotel room with DD when she was about 11 monhs old, and it wasn't much fun in the evenings when she went to bed. We couldn't watch TV and just had to be quiet.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
WE did this when DS1 was 9 months last year. He slept right in the pack n play next to the bed. His internal clock was waking him up at 630 no matter how loud or quiet it was. Not sure if your little guys is a heavy or light sleeper, but I think just one room for the three of you would be plenty for just the weekend.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well, we've done it three times now and I've been so nicely surprised! Our Wee One will sleep through almost anything in the hotel. I just nurse her down on the bed and move her to the hotel crib or PNP, whichever one we have, and she's out. For a long period of time too--longer than at home!

We usually leave on at least one lamp and the TV and they don't wake her up at all. She's 9+ months, if that helps.

We've had her in the bed with us, in the PNP out in the room and behind the sofa in the hotel crib. They all worked fine for us. I do have to say that Comfort Suites was the most fun to stay at. Gloriously fun bathtubs, even though they're not "real" suites. The bed was huge and comfortable and well, it was a very enjoyable experience.

·
Premium Member
5,391 Posts
I wouldn't feel comfortable with any of my children in another room in a strange place. I stayed at a hotel with DD when she was 16 months old, she ended up finding and getting into a bottle of antihistamines. Luckily I found out before she got any in her mouth. It was scary though.

Call me overprotective but if Im not at home my children stay in the same room as me. If Im at home they are either with DH and me or DD1 can choose to sleep in her room.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I often put the pack and play in the bathroom. They're HUGE in hotels and they have a fan which makes for nice white noise.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the great idea. We're traveling next week with my 9 month old and she's going through an independent phase. She prefers to sleep on her own and not in a Play and Pack. I'm taking her the Peapod tent and Snugtuck pillow to cover our bases.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elismum View Post
I often put the pack and play in the bathroom. They're HUGE in hotels and they have a fan which makes for nice white noise.
:

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'm with whoever else said they wouldn't have their child in another room in a strange place. And also remember - if it's regular separate rooms (as opposed to a suite where everyone staying in it is connected) there is an assumption that no one wants to hear what's happening in the next room. It's usually a bit more soundproof than at a regular house. So you may not hear baby crying or other things that usually you'd hear easily.

Love the idea of a pack'n'play or something else in the bathroom. We've made a point of getting our LO used to sleeping in the midst of quite noisy chaos, so her sleeping never means we need to do anything differently, but I have friends who will love the bathroom idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts