Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriends son is 1, going to be 2 in September. For a while he called EVERYTHING and anyone "mommy". Now he's pretty much grown out of that, and he has started to address me as Mom. I've got a 5 year old girl, and she doesn't call his dad Daddy, she uses his name. And she calls her own father's gf by her name as well. She knows who is who because she is older. So what do you do with a baby that doesn't understand? And to complicate it, my name and his mothers name are the same. I don't want him to be calling me by my name and then go home to mom and her think we are teaching him to call her by her name and not mommy. I'm trying to be as respectful as I possibly can towards her, despite her being ugly to me and to my daughter. Any advice or suggestions would be helpful!!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I agree, just gently correct. It's pretty common for kids to mix up names and it's likely that the baby is just mimicking what he hears your daughter call you. If you don't make a big deal of it, the kids won't.

And honestly, yes, I'm sure the child will occasionally get mixed up and call mom by your/her first name. It's also pretty common for kids to call parents by the "wrong" name when transitioning- I know I get called dad pretty frequently in the first day or so when the kids get back to my house. Hopefully mom doesn't freak out about it. Is there a nickname you wouldn't mind being called by the child that mom doesn't also go by? Perhaps you could teach him to call you that so there is less confusion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts