Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'm using a recipe that gets me 2L of kombucha (or 4 bottles) per batch. This is my first full batch. I would like to get some kombucha for meslf, some for my brother with gut and liver issues, and some for my friend whose daughter is on medicine that it hard on the liver.

Anywhoo, I'd rather not have to wait 3 mos before getting my own 4 bottles of kombucha. Right now I have just one scoby. Can I make a double batch (then the question is what do I ferment in?) or split the scoby somehow? Or maybe I just pass on 2 bottles of this batch and use 2 bottles to grow scobies (hopefully)...words from the wise?

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your question. Why would you have to wait 3 months to get 4 bottles of kombucha? Why not just make a bigger batch of tea at a time?

And yes, you can always split a scoby assuming it's big/thick enough. Just separate the layers. Or, you can cut/tear it in half to fit in whatever container you're using.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may be exagerating by saying that it would take 3 months, but if I'm limited to 2L batches and want to supply 3 families with it, it would be a whlie before I'd get any for myself assuming my first batch would go to my bro, the next to my friend, then finally my own. It's taken over a month to get to this point as is (since growing the scoby from a bottle of GT's took over a month given the colder weather).

So I'm okay to make a larger batch of tea and use a smaller scoby?

I feel like I should get the scoby thicker before splitting it in any way.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Sorry, I missed the part where you said this was your first full batch. Yes, you should let the scoby get thicker before splitting it if it is still thin. I understand your eagerness, but it all takes time.

How long are you letting your batches brew? Is it possible to put the kombucha in a warmer spot so it brews faster? Or to set the container on some kind of warming plate? That's the only way I can think of to speed up the process.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess that's the only way about it...

I have it on a heat vent which is the warmest place I can think of, I guess I just be patient. I had enough kombucha left over from bottling to leave some behind in a bowl in hopes of growing another scoby.

And to answer your previous question, fermentation's taking about 2 weeks. Then at least another week in bottles.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eirual View Post
And to answer your previous question, fermentation's taking about 2 weeks. Then at least another week in bottles.
Wow, that seems long. Some of my brews I only do for 7 days. Then bottle and start drinking those bottles in 2-3 days. It all depends on when I am running out of kombucha and need more.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We keep our house at around 65 degrees, 55 when we're gone and overnight, so it's quite chilly
:. I've had to be generous with brewing times. The first half batch I did I let ferment for a week then bottled (it was still VERY sweet) it was effervescent after about a week and a half in the bottle (on the counter not in the fridge), and we just opened a bottle from that batch (about 2.5 weeks later) and I'm lucky I didn't shatter the bottle- we lost about half of it from it fizzing so much (I think I bottled it before it had fermented enough, so it went into the bottle with too much sugar still present).

I am anxiously awaiting summer-brewing!!! I'll stock up and be better prepared for next winter!

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I went to target and bought a 5 gal cookie jar to make a bunch of 'bucha, and I mean A BUNCH!!

I say brew a bunch of sweet tea, pour it in a huge jar, plop your scoby in it and let it ferment for a few weeks. Taste it along the way to make sure it's where you want it. Then get a bunch of bottles and bottle it.

Your small scoby will grow a new larger layer and will get thicker over time. The longer you let the scoby ferment the thicker that one layer will be, does that make sense?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It does, I'll let this batch finish then try going big and keep my eye out for a container large enough in the mean time.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eirual View Post
and we just opened a bottle from that batch (about 2.5 weeks later) and I'm lucky I didn't shatter the bottle- we lost about half of it from it fizzing so much
Yeah, I have learned the hard way (that is, the fizzing all over the kitchen walls and ceiling way) to never open a kombucha bottle at room temp. Now I always put them into the fridge for a few hours first so they calm down a bit. And I still open them very carefully.

I love really fizzy kombucha, but not on my kitchen ceiling.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I have 1 brewing in a gallon jar and I'm starting another in a gallon jar today. I took the little mother I started with, her baby, and the quart of kombucha and dumped it in a 1 gallon tea/sugar solution. I hope it works!

I just tasted my first from my very first 1 gallon batch and it's soooooooo yummy!

We do a 2 week ferment and then a 1 week in bottles ferment too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.