1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I *know* I shouldn't watch baby story, but I just couldn't look away
:

So, after the epidural topup, and the unprecendented two hours of pushing
: , they covered the (flat on her back) mother's legs and belly with sterile drapes just before the baby was born.

Why on earth? Would they have been giving her betadine douches and enemas as well, to kill all those nasty bugs? Maybe a dog went past and pooed on her belly just as the baby was crowning?

Any guesses?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I hate that. Somehow my baby (both of them) and I survived quite well without a sterile drape in sight. I guess we were all very lucky that we didn't die after the baby *gasp* touched my bare abdomen and chest.

and they act like it's a big emergency- quick! get out the sterile drapes! get out the tray of instruments!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
When I had my first son, my mom asked where the "blue papers" were. The nurse said "they are comig" I wasn't down with that and they never did come

It's from the old school birthing in the hospital where they wanted a completely sterile field. It's a bunch of hooey.l I'm sad to see it still exists. I've even attended a birth with a provider who broke 'em out like napkins at dinner. I was rather disgusted but it wasn't the place or time for me to say so.

Namaste, Tara

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Does that mean they still routinely shave the pubic area? I mean... since it's so important to be sterile... with all the blood and amniotic fluid and everything...

·
Registered
666 Posts
I always wonder who was the first person to come up with that idea and why didn't everyone laugh at him? Because it was a HIM, right? I mean, is it protecting the baby from the mother who's body it just came out of, or the mother from the baby that is covered in her blood and fluids? It just cracks me up. I cannot imagine a valid rationale other than "Girls are yucky!!" Maybe only has to be done with boy babies to keep them from getting their mom's cooties

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
At the last hospital I worked at the OB would HOLD IN THE HEAD with one hand if I hadn't finished the betadine prep in time (to give me time, of course, to correct the error of my ways). I mean, really. Are you f***ing kidding me? Since when is the vagina sterile? Do they know where these babies come from?

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
ha- i had blue papers covering my body when i had ds in 2003....it was a joke- i was reaching to touch him-or even to move and the were shouting at me to not touch him to stay under the sheet?!!!! ummmmm wtf? it is my gd baby!!! that is yet another reason why i will never birth in a hospital again.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I pushed for two and a HALF hours with DS......outrageous!! Throw me in a mental hospital! I'm so glad we don't have cable anymore....I hate those shows.
:

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emilie
yes- i can not watch them either- it is just perpetuating a bad way to birth...
Amen, sista.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxmama
At the last hospital I worked at the OB would HOLD IN THE HEAD with one hand if I hadn't finished the betadine prep in time (to give me time, of course, to correct the error of my ways). I mean, really. Are you f***ing kidding me? Since when is the vagina sterile? Do they know where these babies come from?
WTH!?!? What a bungwad! I've seen some nurses scramble to wash but I've never seen a doctor go that far! HOw RUDE!

Namaste, Tara

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My mom had these in the pictures of mine and my sister's births...the doctor, nurses and my dad all had to wear scrubs and masks...it is bizarre!! And really, really sad.

ETA with my sister, she came so fast that they hadn't had time to put in an IV line, so maybe they didn't have the sheets
- I actually don't remember, it seems like they did but I'd have to look at the photos again...they DEFINITELY had them at my birth, I know those pictures very well.

Something freaky about my sister's birth, though, that my mom told me: they insisted on putting the IV in as my sister was coming out. She was breech (scared the shit out of them, no one knew it was coming or they'd have done a C, natch) but basically shot right out. My mom was pushing her body out while the nurses stabbed at her veins. She said that the IV placement was 10 times worse than any pain from the labor and delivery (she had no pain meds with either of us).

It's all so incredibly stupid!!! Makes me so mad...

·
Registered
589 Posts
If it weren't for shows like that I would have never ever heard of water birth, let alone look into it.... just saying there not ALL bad
:

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
When I was induced at a hospital for a fetal demise at six months, the nurse put betadine on my perineum and when I drew my feet in she scolded me and said "You're contaminating the sterile field!" WTF? I said, "You KNOW the baby is dead, right?" What was to keep sterile?

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
ooh ooh I know I know why they do it!

EPISIOTOMY PREP!!!!

Episiotomy is a minor surgery, therefore it needs to be sterile so the perenium (sp?) doesn't get infected when they Chop into it!

Can I have my $200 now Alex?

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I didnt have the drapes, but i do remember my ob dressing up like a smurf before he got to me, by that time ds was nearly crowning.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nora'sMama
my sister, she came so fast that they hadn't had time to put in an IV line
Oh good lord no! She actually had a baby without an IV? The barbarity of it, I'm surprised the baby didn't die. Because we all know you must have a needle in a vein to push a baby out of your vagina.

Quote:
EPISIOTOMY PREP!!!!
Ohhh eeeeeewwwwwwwww! Oh yuk, I hadn't even thought of that. But what happens when the episiotomy extends through the anal sphincter? How the hell do you sterilise THAT?

Quote:
I guess we were all very lucky that we didn't die after the baby *gasp* touched my bare abdomen and chest.
jaw dropping over here. You let the baby TOUCH you? Ohmygod, that's so icky! and it might have caught germs and stuff from you. You didn't let it near your *nipple*, did you?

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
if it extends into the sphincter, I'm guessing they give the good ol syringe full of bedatine squirted up there to cleanse it out....

OOOH Bedatine in the pooper..man that would suck....

or or even, that's probably why they give ENEMAS! No poop, no ick. No ick no infection?

Hmm Bedatine enema....It burns..............

:

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I loved the fact that even though my ob fought me on most details, he put ds straight onto my chest all bloody and gooey. And it was so perfect, because ds looked right into my eyes and wouldnt break eye contact, and then he reached out his teeny tiny hand to touch my finger
(ok this is bad, im welling up with tears!)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts