Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! I get these horrible blistering rash's and the only thing that has helped is Methlprednisone, which the Pharm is saying is discouraged if BF. ANy thing else I can take or is "discouraged" good enough to just take it? I did take this drug while preg for a similar problem (poison Ivy)

PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!
Thanks girls!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Methylprednisolone is classified by Hale's as an L2 medication - his scale runs from L1 (Safest) to L5 (Contraindicated). The AAP has classified it as a maternal medication usually compaitble with breastfeeding.

From Hale's: "the amount of methylprednisone and other steroids transferred into human milk is minimal as long as the dose does not exceed 80 mg per day. However, relating side effects of steroids administered via breastmilk and their maternal doeses is rather difficult and each situation should be evaluated individually."

I can scan the entry from Hale's in and send it to you as a .pdf if you would like - PM me with your email address if so. I would recommend checking with your doctor, showing them the Hale's entry, and seeing what they have to say. I am not a doctor and am not giving you medical advice, just passing along what is available in appropriate reference materials.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.