Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curios as to if there is a difference in taste from liquid Stevia vs the crystalized form I found at the store. I'm sure the stuff I found isn't very good (Stevia "In The Raw"). I want to go away from white sugar but I can't stand the taste of any artificial sweetener. I tried some in my morning coffee a couple days and just about gagged. Had to dump it out and use sugar. My morning coffee is one of my pleasures, and it must be sweet and creamy.

I've looked into trying Sucanat or Rapidura.

Any advice would be great!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I actually haven't tried the liquid stevia extract because I've heard it has an aftertaste. I use a powdered stevia (100%) extract from my HFS in my morning coffee (err...teecino these days, but still), and I'm a stickler for sweet and creamy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Stevia tastes like artificial sweetener, no matter what. It has taken me time to get used to, but I don't use it in everything. I think it tastes best when used in combo with another sweetener (to lessen the amount of other sweetener). I like the liquid as I have found that the green powder doesn't release sweetness as well in baked goods or smoothies. I don't want to use the white stuff, as it has been refined more (but that's just my opinion). It may or may never taste good to you in coffee. You'll have to keep experimenting maybe. DH likes honey in coffee, and I think it's gross, so I guess it's all a matter of personal taste and personal choice.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
I've only used liquid stevia, and I don't use it in my coffee. We mainly use it in smoothies and in milk/granola, and sometimes tea. I really like the liquid stevia, but I will caution that *you don't need to use a lot*. Very important!!! If you use too much, it will taste weird. If dd wants some sweetener in her tea, I will use - literally - one drop of stevia. For an entire blender-full of smoothie, I will use ~3/4 of a dropper. It is VERY potent stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts