Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using stevia instead of sugar for the most part for a few years, having read that it is natural (safe, unlike saccharin, aspartame, sucralose, etc.) and it doesn't affect blood sugar levels like sugar does. However, last night a friend told me that it was traditionally used as a contraceptive, so now I'm wondering if it is safe to continue using during pregnancy (especially instead of sugar during this yeast infection), even though I'd never heard that before?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have never been able to get into stevia, despite having tried numerous times over the years, but it IS helpful when sugar has crept back into an otherwise healthy diet and needs to go. I don't care for the taste and usually gradually just fade sugar out rather than use the substitute. Yesterday I looked at chocolate sweetened with stevia - holy goodness, I would be a different person if I had $7 for a bar that wasn't organic and only 55% cacao?!

If you have been using it regularly and conceived fine, I would think it is not a very good contraceptive! If it is a successful traditional contraceptive, maybe the women who use it as such have some other practice or environmental or dietary factor or genetics which makes it effective and which we don't know about.

Following a no-yeast diet during pregnancy (in summer fruit season!) is awful. I broke down and had a diet soda on the airplane. First time in like 13 years. Forgive me, baby.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for understanding about how hard it is to follow a no-yeast, no-sugar diet during yummy fruit season! I have in my fridge organic strawberries (good against cancer, which I haven't been diagnosed with but want to eat for prevention and yumminess), organic blueberries, many kiwi, organic plums, and more. I might break down and start eating some because without lots of fresh fruit snacks between meals like I'm used to, it's hard for me to gain weight. I went down to 139 at the very beginning of this pregnancy when I was losing weight, trying to stop looking like I was pregnant (which may have helped me conceive; a friend said she conceived years ago after fasting) and the other morning when I weighed myself after peeing, I only weighed 140! I was 148 when my bladder was 19 cm, when we thought it was an ovarian cyst, but maybe that was just because of urine retention. I know it's bad to worry but if my baby is already 19 weeks old tomorrow and I've only gained a pound or two, I need to work harder at eating more. I don't eat junk food/empty calories; since learning about the yeast infection I've focused on nuts, meat, and vegetables, but can't wait to eat fruit again...and healthy bread would help me gain some too...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes, I hear you. For some people it is really hard to gain weight without sugar or bread or pure carb stuff that one generally thinks of as having limited nutritional value! Once you are past the worst of the yeast I think the berries are okay, though mangoes, peaches, cherimoya etc might be off limits. Adding a coconut oil or coconut cream dressing to fruit might help too, both with counterbalancing the sugar and with sheer calories. I've been dumping heavy cream or ghee or coconut oil in & on everything. & Still the only times my belly seems to pop or the scale registers a gain is when I do something weird like eat an entire bag of late july corn chips for lunch.

·
Registered
827 Posts
One of my friends who is chronically ill and can't keep weight on adds full fat coconut cream to every smoothie she has (and has at least one of those a day). It works well and it sounds yummy! :D

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I went to have the catheter removed yesterday (yippee! woo-hoo!) and passed the pee-in-the-toilet test with flying colors, so they didn't have to teach me how to catheterize myself. So now I'm potty trained again, home using the bathroom with the rest of my family. :D I asked the doctor to check on the yeast infection during the pelvic exam and she didn't see it. She said I can go back to eating fruit and bread, just finish the Monistat. So I ate a plum when we came home and I'm happily back to eating organic strawberries, blueberries, and more! Thanks be to God.

Thanks for your idea about putting coconut oil on food. I already put it on sausage, hoping it'll make it a little less spicy. I don't have ghee or coconut cream (not sure where I would buy that) but I have coconut oil so I will use that more.

Thank you, ladies!

·
Registered
827 Posts
I get cans of coconut cream from Trader Joes.

and HOORAY for no catheter!! :D:thumb

·
Registered
225 Posts
What Stegenrae said! Usually called coconut milk. You can whip heavy cream with coconut milk too. I don't do this often because everyone gets an eye on it!

·
Registered
827 Posts
But coconut milk doesn't usually have all the fat--that's pretty much all the cream is, just like in dairy. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts