Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is the correct forum for this question or not...

I recently bought some preseasoned cast-iron (Lodge brand). I left it soaking in water (didn't realize you couldn't do that--oops!) and it rusted on the bottom. So I tried to re-season it by applying a coating of oil, baking in the oven for 1 hr. at 350 degrees, and leaving in oven to cool (this is what my Lodge cookbook said to do).

But now the pan is sticky/tacky. Not sure what to do. If I scrub it to get it clean feeling, then won't I be messing up the seasoning on it? How should a properly seasoned pan feel to the touch?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So should I stick it back in the oven, let cool, back in the oven, etc.

Wow! thats a great cast-iron resource web-page!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Isn't it??

I was doing some research on safe cookware and how to take care of cast iron and ran across it. If and when I get anything cast iron, I have that link bookmarked!

Is stainless steel acceptable for cooking or is that bad somehow? If buying stainless, I know the 18/10 rule...

All-clad has an aluminum layer sandwiched in between some other layers, I'll try not to get that kind.

I'm being rather foolish, selfish, wasteful, (but having fun) lately and buying stuff for the house because I've been wanting to make my place really pretty for a long time, but hadn't had a decent job to do all that. So now, I'm trying to clean and organize my place and buy whatever I had wanted to buy.

Among the stuff I would like to buy is a new set of cookware. I have all Teflon coated stuff and even some of that is getting all scratched up from (improper) use.

Shoot, I didn't know Teflon was going to turn out to be such a bad thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.