Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could't really work out where to put this but I guess it goes here. Is it common for children to have a peak of separation/situation anxiety between four and five? 4.5 year old DD is driving me crazy. She's always been terrified of thunderstorms (and sensitive to noise generally, but not excessively). Fine. Fair enough, thunder is loud I get that and the concept of lightening is pretty scary. It's Spring here so it's thunderstorm season. Lately she refuses to leave the house if there is so much as a few grey clouds in the sky. Even that is not completely unreasonable, we live at almost 1100 metres above sea level and the weather <i>can</i> change quite quickly. Combined with a sudden peak of separation anxiety to the point that she won't be more than a few metres away from me during the day and less than a metre after dark it's completely doing my head in. She loves dancing and has been doing ballet with the same teacher for two years. Two months ago she was happily doing her normal class as well as an extra homeschool class three times as long (90 minutes instead of 30) and with much older kids and a different teacher. For the last two weeks she hasn't even participated in her normal class (the other one has finished) but instead clings to me crying that she wants to be close to me. I don't leave the room in this class, I never have. Her brother (17 months) and I sit up the back and watch.<br>
I just read a completely unhelpful book called Fear-free Children which turned out to be all about getting children to stay in their own beds all night. We are on hard end of the crunchy spectrum lol and are happy cosleepers. DD is not scared of the dark, she doesn't even get what that means. She is however, scared of any minuscule noise she hears at in the evening long before bedtime hence needing to be right next to me after dark.<br>
I'm just feeling exasperated because this is not about being able to drop her off at car/school without a scene. We cosleeper, will homeschool, etc etc and she has been cared for by someone other than DH or I for precisely three hours in her entire life yet she's still terrified that I will up and desert her at any second (perhaps exaggerating just a teensy bit but it seems like that on a day like today). Why can't I meet her needs? This is not normal right?<br><br>
Possible useful information floating around in my head are that she's pretty close to weaning herself (down to less than once a week) and that I suspect she may have mild SPD

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
<p>My dd is 4.5 and has been more sensitive lately when I leave the room or go outside to put something in the trash can, but your dd's anxiety seems to extend beyond that.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>One suggestion I've seen for noise sensitive children are to use noise canceling headphones or those squishy ear-bud things. Though the headphones may have more of an impact in seeming insulated from noise.</p>

·
Registered
43 Posts
<p>There is a recent thread on this forum about anxiety in kids that might give you some ideas.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Do you ever use homeopathic remedies?  Your daughter might do well with a few doses of phosphorus.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts