Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at 12 weeks 2 days and am still sleeping on my stomach. I don't think I start out that way, I'm usually on my hip and then find myself on my stomach (and, my aching boobs) in the morning. Is there anything wrong with that? And, then sometimes I find myself on my back. I don't think I spend a lot of time on my back (I dont' usually sleep like that), and I've heard that you'll feel it before spending too much time on your back can harm the baby. This may all sound silly, but as you can tell, I'm a newbie at the whole pregnancy thing, so if any of you wise mammas out there have any thoughts on any of this, I'd love to hear them.

Also, I'm thinking of investing in a pregnancy pillow. Anyone have a brand to recommend? Only thing is, I think the pillow and me together could end up ousting my husband out of the bed! I wish we had a king!!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I slept on my stomach for a long time with dd. I think until 16 weeks or so. Your body will tell you when to stop sleeping on your stomach and back. I never had a pregnancy pillow. I used 3 or 4 regular pillows around me. I think I prefered that, because I could adjust them more. Anyway, listen to your body and do what feels comfortable.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I still sleep on my tummy, not for much longer though
With my last pg's my dh bought me a body pillow and oh.....it was heaven. I think it was for his own sanity, it kept me from flopping around (very ungracefully I might add
) all night. I don't know where it's gone, I suspect it was donated when we moved so I will have to buy another one

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies -- glad to hear that its normal and I'm not squooshing anything I shouldn't be!

Let me know if you think of where you found that pillow! I guess if the bed gets too crowded for my hubbie, there is always the couch!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Hey! We have the same due date!

I say, sleep on your tummy as long as you can stand it! I'm a tummy sleeper too, well kind of on my side with my knee brought up along side me. I will sleep that way til I can't take it anymore, and I second the body pillow... they are WONDERFUL and mine carried me through most of my pregnancy. At the end I really needed a regular pillow between my knees because my hips hurt so much, but the body pillow helped for quite a long time.

I got my body pillow from Sam's Club
: a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
Just popping in from August. It is fine as long as you are comfy. I am 39 weeks and still sleep on my belly sometimes.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
I slept on my stomach with this last pregnancy until I was 35 weeks. I figured my body knows best so when it wasn't "okay" anymore, my body would get sore and uncomfortable.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Oh man, I have felt so ill, and laying/sleeping on my tummy is the only way I feel better sometimes.

I think I probably managed to sleep on my tummy til 18 weeks or so with my last two.

In fact, when I finally had my last two babies, I remember LOVING being on my tummy again!

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm still sleeping on my stomach.... but I know the time will come when I can't anymore (that hard stomach feeling is no good). Then its harder for me to sleep

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yes, I still sleep on my stomach, or back or side... I guess I move around a lot. I remember from last time at some point I just didn`t want to anymore. The back sleeping became more uncomfortable than the stomach. I did have a long pillow, don`t know if it was a pregnancy pillow, gave it to a friend and it never came back. I will look at buying another one after my big trip. (going *home* to the states for 6 weeks).
Feel free to ask any question you want!
Kathryn

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I'm a belly sleeper too, I hug my body pillow even without being pregnant, it saves my big ol' busty boobs lol

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am still sleeping on my stomach or back too. I am going to get a body pillow and start practicing sleeping on my left side. I have a book that says that sleeping on your left side with one leg crossed over the other and with a pillow between them is the best position because it allows for maximum flow of blood and nutrients to the placenta as well as enhances efficient kidney function.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Ok, the whole "pregnant women need to sleep on the left side" thing - this is a recommendation made for high risk women who have heart issues, high bp, pre-e, low bp, etc, that was picked up on by the pregnancy guide authors all over the place and has become a "you must sleep on your left side" rule.

I sleep in any position that will let me sleep! After about 16 weeks if you feel uncomfy, feel your legs getting numb, have pain, then don't sleep in that position, otherwise, get all the sleep you can!

I slept on my stomach (modified with a body pillow under one hip/leg at the end) until 42 weeks with dd. I was comfy flat on my back until about 22 weeks, and sleeping on my left side was such a PITA.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Actually, the book that I read just said that it was a good choice for sleeping (for the reasons I stated above) but that you can sleep on your right side as well, or even your stomach if you can manage it

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Yes, exactly, it DOES do all those things, but for physiologically normal women having a normal pregnancy, it's perfectly safe and acceptable to sleep in any comfortable position. THe whole "sleep on the left" was a rule only for women with health issues related to their cardiopulminary system and/or brought on by pregnancy, and was adopted as a rule for all pregnant women by the authors of books everywhere, but it started as only a recommendation for women with health issues...

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm still sleeping on my belly but I'm starting to feel pressure in my belly when I do, not to mention my giant sore boobs
I HATE side sleeping, I was so happy post-DD when my incision healed and I could sleep on my belly again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts