Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been torn between having a UC or finding a different HB MW since the MW I had with my son can't attend births here in IL where I moved to. I originally contacted a CNM that could take Medicaid & does homebirths, however she will not do a VBAC unless you've already had a successful VBAC. She however did refer me to this other HB MW who I have been e-mailing back & forth, she also runs a HB support group which is a plus. This MW understands my concerns and that I am very knowledgable having been a doula & childbirth educator, etc...

I've been weighing the pros & cons and looking back to my previous birth the only thing I really felt my midwife did for me was to encourage me that everything was ok & that I could still labor at home safely, we finally ended up transferring to the hospital after 48 hours of labor, but had I gone it alone I'd probably have transferred sooner & ended up with a cesarean sooner. Other than that I feel pretty confident in myself, but should something arise having that other knowledgable person there who might be in a better frame of mind might be comforting to me.

Anyway she had some great points in this e-mail that I'd like to share & are helping me in my decision, tell me what you all think.

"It is a really hard decision to make, I feel for you. My honest opinion is that you will not be able to get a vaginal delivery in any hospital around here after 1 no less 2 c-secs.

A little stat to support your 40 week dilemma. Most north American women go, on an average, 2 weeks past their period due date!

My fee to your area is $2000. Try not to let money get in the way. I will take time-payments. All you need to do is set up a schedule and we'll be all set.

You mentioned that you might consider doing the birth yourself. With today's technology, I am sure you can find lots of information and even equipment on the internet.

You also are somewhat right about a midwife. She is basically unnecessary UNLESS something comes up. The trick is to have nothing to come up, or to be able to diagnose when something has come up.

Basically you are also right about when or if you would have to transfer, it isn't really going to matter at that point who was with you. If you have to go in, you have to go in.

I am interested in dialoging with you as many more times as you need. If there is any info or help that I can send you way, please do not hesitate to ask."

· Registered
731 Posts
while i had a UC a year and a half ago, i'm not sure i can offer much input since i'm not a vbac and have no idea what i would do under those circumstances. anybody can tell you what they would do, but only you know what feels right/safe. can you share why you had 2 csecs?

the best i can offer is to take one day at a time, know that you have plenty of time to decide, and the answer will come.

i'm actually undecided about my future birth. i missed the woman support/contact by having just my husband and myself, but i worry that if i meet that need and hire even just a doula, i'd be sacrificing or "trading-in" part of the profound beauty that more-or-less defined my UC.

like you, tho, having witnessed and been part of normal birth in some capacity for so long and knowing on a cellular level what normal birth looks, sounds, smells and tastes like, i really never questioned that i'd know if/when to go in. (i had no problems w/ checking heart tones and my own dilation, etc)

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can you share why you had 2 csecs?

QUOTE]

Certainly!

The first was a very unecessary cesarean, was seeing a CNM after 18 hours of labor the OB in her group came in & took 1 look at me and said "Your having a 10-12lb baby, you need a c-section" I was 18 & believed him, my daughter was only 8lbs.

The 2nd was an attempted homebirth with an awesome MW, transferred to the hospital after 48 hours of labor, water had been broken for 24 of that. i labored an additional 16 hours at the hospital before I was just too wore out to go on & I asked for the cesarean, my MW & everyone else were surprised I made it that long.

· Registered
614 Posts
I had a hospital VBAC and a UBAC after that. I definitely agree that in most cases, midwives really just provide emotional support (which is great for the right person!) and help clean up, etc. It really is such a personal decision. You have to search deep within yourself to decide what's best for you and your family. You have plenty of time.

Good vibes ~

· Registered
2,896 Posts
I know lots of midwives and homebirthing women. I've heard lots of birth stories; the wonderful ones, but also those including the ones involving transfers, near deaths and even a couple of lost babies. Nothing has made me question the safety of homebirth with a qualified midwife, compared to a hospital birth. I personally still feel that safety net of having another knowledgeable person there who is not in the throws of labor is beneficial, and potentially life-saving, if possible. If I lived in a midwife-illegal state, though, I would probably opt for a UC over the hospital. Good luck making your decision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.