Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS (11 months) has always been small. The doctor is worried b/c he's now not even on the chart with weight (and I think length)...but his HC is still 25%.

At first it was due to poor sucking and then reflux (huge amounts of spit up). But he's over all of that. He even had hernia surgery at 9 months.

The doctor is not as holistic as I'd like, but he's understanding... just seems like he'd prefer to have me formula feed b/c we can measure it all.

I've done plenty of trials where I rented the gram sensitive scale to see how much DS gets...and he's always taken in the recommended amount per day. This month, the doc. had me pump and feed for two 24 hour periods. and...
Right now he's getting between 24-29 oz of breastmilk (some of it is formula supplements) plus solid foods.
The dr. says he could have some sort of absorption problem??
I'm sick of worrying about it.
I was a tiny baby, but I'm not a tiny adult (although on the small side).
DH is skinny but was an average baby.

any ideas?
thanks!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Is he dropping in percentiles, or has he just been small all along? Some babies are just small. If he's growing, and hitting developmental milestones, and looks healthy, I wouldn't worry about it.

If not, and if he does really have an absorption problem, then the answer would be more breastmilk, not less - breastmilk is absorbed and digested better than any other food. Also, one thing to keep in mind when you're feeding solids is that ounce for ounce, very few "baby-friendly" foods have more calories than breastmilk. Cereal, for example, does not. It has about the same calories, but babies don't digest cereal very well, so not all the calories get in there - and it takes up tummy space that could be occupied by breastmilk. Avocadoes do have more calories than breastmilk, and fatty meats do too (if you're worried about iron - meat is a better source for babies than cereal, it's heme iron so more easily absorbed, and it has more calories and fat than cereal.)

But, probably, he's just small. SOMEONE has to be on the low end of the scale, after all!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He dropped in percentiles for height and weight but has remained at 25% for HC. He is happy, looks healthy, is hitting developmental milestones and is quick to learn new things.
solid foods are only an addition...never take the place of breastfeeding. He doesn't have any commercial cereal, only a bit of oatmeal occasionally--and we have tried fatty meats.
It makes me nervous that the dr. is always questioning....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by colleentara View Post
DS (11 months) has always been small. The doctor is worried b/c he's now not even on the chart with weight (and I think length)...but his HC is still 25%.

...and he's always taken in the recommended amount per day. This month, the doc. had me pump and feed for two 24 hour periods. and...
Right now he's getting between 24-29 oz of breastmilk (some of it is formula supplements) plus solid foods.
The dr. says he could have some sort of absorption problem??
I'm sick of worrying about it.
I was a tiny baby, but I'm not a tiny adult (although on the small side).
DH is skinny but was an average baby.

any ideas?
thanks!

First question is which chart? Second, where are you getting the recommended amounts from? Third, how much did your son weigh at birth and how much does he weigh now? Are you unable to supply him with enough breastmilk, so are supplementing with formula/solids? Breastmilk will give him the best nutrition, superior to anything else - assuming you are in reasonable health and not malnourished.

I confess that I detest acronyms, which are used so frequently as to almost be like text messaging sometimes. This is not directed at you, just the way things are on this forum, but I think referring to my son as DS (short for Dear/Darling/Dearest Son, I guess) just seems kind of like I couldn't be bothered to spend a few seconds typing how I feel about him. It also creates a kind of clique, amongst those who have been posting for a while and know all the acronyms. For someone totally new to the board and looking for answers it means trying to figure out 'what the hell' (WTH?) some posts mean. Which leads me to ... HC ... ??? Haemoglobin Count? Head Circumference? Happy Chappy? Honey Coating? ... Please let me know ... the problem with acronyms is they have different meanings in different fields, so DS could be Deliciously Sexy (which could be good) or Damn Son (not so nice) ... please excuse the diversification from topic, but I'd like to respond to it, if you can answer the questions I have :)

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Head circumference.

Just so you know, a lot of people use "DS/DD" to avoid using their children's names for privacy concerns.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi--thanks for your questions-- I understand how you feel about the acronyms--I felt the same way. The DS is for privacy issues (these forums are publicly searchable)--although I usually do just say "Finn".
  • The chart: CDC
  • recommended amount: my dr. told me Finn should be getting 24 oz of breastmilk/day--I've also read this in my research
  • birth weight: 7 lbs 11 oz
  • current weight--not exactly sure --somewhere between 17 and 18 pounds
  • reason for supplementing: I'm back at work part time and can't pump enough, so when I'm gone he gets some oz. of formula. Also because he had reflux he eats small, frequent meals. I think this is why my breasts produce about one oz per hour. I've tried to give him more during daytime hours so that he's not eating every two hours at night (finally he is sleeping longer stretches, so I am able to teach high schoolers during the day without loosing my mind!)
    • I started solids at about 7 months b/c he showed signs of being ready. the solids are an addition--they don't replace the breastmilk.
thank you so much--any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
we had a similar situation...have actually! ds was born at 7lb and gained fine until 9m when i he refused bottles and i was still working a bit. he was EBF until about 11m b/c he wasn't interested in solids. he didn't gain an ounce btwn 9m and 14m. then they did bloodwork (cbc, celiacs, metabolic panel) and a urine sample. his sed rate was slightly elevated and he is a bit anemic (wasn't at 12m) and all else was fine. nothing big. we will retest his sed rate soon but apparently it can be elevated due to a cold or somthing minor (happnes a lot they said). i felt better after the bloodwork though. then we went to the ent to rule out reflux (he had chronic fluid in ears w/o infection as well). that was fine. he gained 1.25 lbs in the last month, and while he's still below the weight curve, his length and HC have been holding at 25th %. ile. I try so hard to get a lot of fats and protien into him and nurse like crazy (still cosleeps and night nurses). it's hard, but i try not to stress. i do feel much better after ruling out anything glaring with the bloodwork. we are seeing a GI in 2 weeks just b/c they dx him as FTT and they want to have a consult just to see what they think. my gut tells me he's just going at his own pace though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.