Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I was talking to someone, and they said that after I have had this stillbirth (My daughter was full term 40 weeks 2 days by 1st Tri US, and my estimate would have her at40 weeks 1 day) that from here on out all my subsequent pregnancies will automatically be treated high risk, and I will have to goto special high risk OB's, and no longer be able to use a Midwife (even if in the same group/office as an OB) or the Natural Birthing Center.

Does anyone know if this is true or not? Would I now also be ineligible to use a homebirth (DEM/Lay) midwife?

Sorry, I am horribley terrified of hospitals, and after the horrifying experience I went through with my daughter I am not even sure I could handle another L&D experience in a hospital setting or even at the birth center.

Melissa S.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I know of women who have had stillbirths and then had babies at home.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I know of home births following a still birth as well. In fact, I have a client in that situation now.

Laws vary depending on where you are. Can you call a local midwife and ask what their rules are regarding this?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
have no info on homebirth, just wanted to offer a
and I hope you get the birth of your dreams.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I had a stillbirth, and now (my second pregnancy) am going to a homebirth CNM practice, seeing them concurrently with my perinatologist. They also have a perinatologist they regularly work with, but I had one already so I just kept going to him. I suppose it might depend on the reason for the stillbirth (thrombophilia in my case). I also don't know how it would go with a DEM, my state allows CNMs to do homebirths and that's what I chose. But what I did with the CNMs was to call their office, describe my history in detail and then ask them, directly, if I would be within their scope of practice.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
I had a stillbirth, and now (my second pregnancy) am going to a homebirth CNM practice, seeing them concurrently with my perinatologist. They also have a perinatologist they regularly work with, but I had one already so I just kept going to him. I suppose it might depend on the reason for the stillbirth (thrombophilia in my case). I also don't know how it would go with a DEM, my state allows CNMs to do homebirths and that's what I chose. But what I did with the CNMs was to call their office, describe my history in detail and then ask them, directly, if I would be within their scope of practice.
No medical issues - just Advanced Maternal Age, this was my 4th pregnancy, one previous miscarriage at between 7 - 9 1/2 weeks.

Preliminary Autopsy report - Grossly, True Knot

Could have also had a 2 vessal cord - still waiting to find out for sure, will when I get my medical records.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Legally, even in the most restrictive states, I don't know of restrictions on moms who have had a stillbirth where the cause isn't likely to repeat.

As a midwife, law aside, I would just want to know that the cause wasn't genetic and likely to repeat. Most stillbirths or fetal demises are complete "accidents" and not likely to happen ever again.

We took care of a woman during my apprenticeship who had two fetal demises around 28 weeks before she got pregnant with the baby born during my apprenticeship. Her baby's gentle birth is one of the sweetest memories of my training. It was absolutely beautiful. I hope that you'll get to experience that same kind of birth one day

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
My friend had a stillbirth (full term baby)at home, then had another birth with the same CNM at home for next baby.

You have to ask your midwife.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
It would only be high risk if there is some sort of medical condition you had that caused the miscarriage or other serious complications (diabetes, sickle cell anemia, etc). Otherwise, you would be better served by the comprehensive and wholistic care a good midwife could offer you. She will be much more understanding about the moral/emotional support you will need when you conceive again, and that is much more relevant than your history of miscarriage.

I am sorry for what you went through, the loss of a daughter and a traumatic hospital experience. Love to you Mama...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.