Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ds has been driving my bonkers that last few days. He is constantly running to the bathroom to repeatedly flush the toilet and he jumps up and down all excited watching it flush. He used to do this months ago and stopped now it is exciting to him all over again. Then when I shew him out of that bathroom, he runs to the next bathroom. I get him out of there and he goes to the kitchen to open and close the microwave door. I re-direct him from there and he goes to the baby's swing and pushes it to watch it go back and forth and turns on the music on the swing. Then he goes to my room and turns the radio on and off .<br><br>
I don't know if he is just bored? Just curious how things work? Or something more. Not really sure if there is really anything to do about it.<br><br>
Our music therapist was just here and I ran it by her. She didn't claim to be an expert on it or anything but she suggested I just make a game out of it like say "open" when he opens the microwave or "close' etc. But to be honest I don't have time (or patience right now) to to do that when I am trying to feed the baby etc. Plus I don't think the microwave is something I want him playing with.<br><br>
Anyway, not a huge deal but just curious what anyone else makes of this.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Could be boredom. Could be curiousity. But it also sounds like maybe he is interested in something rythmic, with a pattern to focus on and control. My ds does all the things you listed. Could you just deal with him doing any of these things at all? Could you redirect the other things to something else that will give him consistent, expected, rythmic, and patterned stimulation at his control?<br><br>
Hugs, mama, I relate. My dfd is only a month older than your baby, and my ds (who is 11 months older than dfd and has sn) can engage in some very energy-draining stuff.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
My son does these things as well and I just keep those areas with the extra attractive things blocked off so he can't get to them except when I let him because I can only take so much.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Mine does the same. Sigh. It's incredibly annoying. We bought childproof knobs for the bathrooms - the kitchen is part of a great room, though, so we just have to deal with it. Honestly, though, I could block every room in the house and he'd still find something to do that makes me crazy.<br><br>
It's also kind of a 3 yo thing - my DS says, "No flushing!" or "No, Ezra!" as he smiles and backs in there, checking to see if we're watching.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You all made me feel so much better telling me that it drives you crazy too. I just felt so bad. But there I was trying to nurse my little one to sleep and I hear, flush, flush, flush, grrrr! I can't really put childproof locks on the doors because his twin is PT'd and goes in himself. But I do try to keep the door shut because Jordan can't get it open.<br>
Oh and Kerry, Jordan isn't talking yet but like Ezra he looks at us before he does it. Kind of like, I know I am not supposed to but I can't help it!<br>
It is nice I am not alone!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You gotta love that "look", frankly that's usually enough to help evaporate some of my annoyance, take breath and not snap at him because contrary to what it looks like, he's not doing it just to p*ss me off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts