Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my happy heiney one size pockets STINK....
I have used them for almost 7 months and they just became really stinky. It smells weird, my dh says like coffee. My dd just started eating solids and we are using liners and that seems to be working great. I don't know if the increased smell from her poo has seeped into the diapers, but really, it is out of control.

I wash with country save after a cold rinse. I know there are ways to get rid of the stink, but what works the best (other than bleach)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've never used HH. Do they have microfiber inserts? If so, I'm sure the problem is that the microfiber is hanging onto the increased bacteria/odors that are being produced by solids. I myself do bleach our microfiber inserts on occasion (usually about 1x/month-- just 1T or so), but in the summer I find I rarely have to bleach because line-drying in the sun does the same thing in a much friendlier way. The sun is an amazing bleaching agent.

I haven't found anything besides either of those two things to really do the trick on microfiber. I've tried vinegar, baking soda, extra rinses, more detergent, less detergent, etc. and when it comes down to it, I think the microfiber just needs something like bleach or the sun to do the job.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I just bleached my inserts yesterday to give us a little extra help, but usually, I just do some extra hot rinses and that takes care of it. Every 4-6 weeks I turn up the hot water heater and rinse several extra times on super super hot. Now, it's just starting to get sunny here in Michigan (on occasion!), so getting them outside will help.

You can always boil your inserts, too. As far as the body of the dipe, the hot rinses and sun should take care of those, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.