Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got some really used bumkins for very cheap but they stink stink really bad esp. as soon as DD pees. It seems now all of our dipes stink too.

I have been doing a cold water pre wash
the heavy hot wash w/ all free and clear
then rinse

How do I know if I have hard water?

What should I do to make these dipes not stink?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I find mine pick up more stink in the dryer, I open the dryer and ouch that stinks, wash 'em again.

Hard water: do you feel slippery after you take a shower and have rinsed? that is soft soft water. do you find calcium deposits or hard water spots on your shower door or curtain? probably have hard water.

We have hard water. I find that a good triple rinsing helps with the smells. I use baking soda in the cold wash/ soak. I also use Borax in the hot wash and a very small about of detergent (I use cheap purex).

Some ppl will just lay in on me for this one, but once a year I use bleach, not a lot just enough to get them really clean, I'm talking about only my cotton prefolds. I do this usually in the winter when I can't hang them out to dry. A run through a commerial triple loader at the laundry mat also is a good thing about once a year.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I run a full wash on cold (heavy duty washer, largest water amount possible) with a half a cap of purex. Then run a second cycle in hot water (largest amount of water possible) with a 1/2 to full cap of calgon every other wash. This has helped us. Drying on the line has also seemed to cut down on the smell quite a bit. Usually when my diapers start to stink it's 'cause I haven't added the calgon in a while and there's soap build-up, though. I have a top-loading washer btw. When I was using a front-loader in January in temorary lodging, the stench was horrible and I had a hard time getting rid of it since it uses so little water in the rinses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts