·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here's my wash routine....

Cold rinse
Hot wash w/Dawn
Cold wash or rinse

So now here's the problem... My diapers STINK after coming out of the dryer! GRRR! WHY? I don't get it! Do I need to use a stronger detergent? They stink like his bf poop. Not sure what the deal is but it's really bothersome. They don't smell like detergent was left in after he pees or poops.

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
Maybe instead of rinsing first, you run a full cycle with no detergent first to get out as much stink as possible. I also add baking soda and/or Bac-Out to the first no-detergent cycle. That seems to do the trick!

·
Registered
156 Posts
My diapers were stinking after drying (and after a pee) until I started using Sportswash. It rinses out VERY well and also eliminates odors. You can find it during deer hunting season at Walmart in the hunting aisle.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
As long as you don't have direct contact and use just a little there should be no discoloration. I just put it in my bleach dispenser. If your washer doesn't have one then what I would do is let the water fill up to the level you need, add bleach, let agitate for a few seconds, then add the diapers.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK! Good to know!

Here's our first test... I'm letting the diapers soak in vinegar right now to see if that helps. Next up is the baking soda if this doesn't work... Then onto the bleach, although I was hoping to avoid it! How much bleach for just a small load?????

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyGrin View Post
I've had good luck with Dawn, baking soda, and a little borax.

I also hang them out on the line as much as possible & when I bring them in they smell like sunshine.

So what is your wash routine?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I dry pail & wash daily. I spray off all poopy diapers before putting into the machine.

Once/week I soak overnight in a borax/baking soda solution. I fill the washing machine with hot water & also add a large pot of boiling water off the stove to it.

Daily washes are just one hot cycle followed by one cold rinse.

I have primarily pocket diapers with just a few fitteds. All fitteds, inserts, and prefolds go out on the line overnight unless we're having a supply emergency which hopefully we're past now that I've purchased a few more. Lately they've been freezing pretty solid out there. (This does wear the fitteds a bit, but I won't keep it around if it smells anyways, so I figure it's a fair tradoff.) Pocket diapers only go on the line if the weather is mild; I haven't had any problems with them smelling & would imagine the freezing would be hard on the PUL.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I use a little bleach on occasion. Every month or so, my dipes start getting a little stinky and the bleach kills any residual bacteria, allowing the dipes to get really clean.

I use pockets (all different colors) and microfiber inserts, and also some prefolds and none of them have been damanged by the bleach.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not to add in too much feedback here, but is it possible that you're water isn't hot enough? Any chance any other laundry got added in with the dipes? When my DH puts our cloth napkins in the dryer with dipes, it makes them smell gross. Like restaurant laundry. Yecky.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamatoAlex View Post
Not to add in too much feedback here, but is it possible that you're water isn't hot enough? Any chance any other laundry got added in with the dipes? When my DH puts our cloth napkins in the dryer with dipes, it makes them smell gross. Like restaurant laundry. Yecky.
I've been putting flats that I've used to catch breastmilk from nursing in with the diapers but I don't think that's the smell. They smell like his poop... To me, strongly.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE:

Well, I let the diapers soak in vinegar and then let them run through a wash. When I smelled them I thought mmmm these smell nice... Then I got to thinking, "why do they smell so good?" Well, come to find out I had just washed dh's laundry w/fabric softner and that's what the dipes smelled like. Prolly not a good thing! So now they're finishing their hot wash w/Purex Free and Clear. Thought I would try something different. We'll see how it goes!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts