Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! My 3 year old has some weird funkiness in back of his ears. We wash them almost every night. He misses a bath here and there but he bathes regularly. Perhaps the skin in back of his ears is overly dried? I am trying to make sure they are dried after bathing and then I put a little lotion or oil in back to mositurize. I haven't done this super regularly. Sometimes the skin is cracked and when I wash his ears he gets really upset and says it hurts. Is it something other than being dry skin? Sometimes it smells really bad. He is starting to hate taking baths at this point which is sad for me because he used to love just playing and soaking in the tub. Anyone else have this happen? What to do?!

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I remember my younger siblings used to get that. I thought it was related to cradle cap. One of my brothers got eczema, too (on the inside of elbows and knees when he ate wheat). That would be another possibility though I'm not sure the backs of ears is a common spot for that. Either way, oil would be a good thing to put on it.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I still get this, and my son seems to have inherented it from me.<br><br>
I find that using a microfiber cloth at least a couple of times a week(I use a dermal grade one) works best at keeping it from getting bad. Once a week or so I use coconut oil or emu oil or castor oil on it. Whatever strikes my fancy that day. If it gets cracked I use tea tree oil on it.<br><br>
But prevention seems to be the best one, and the microfiber cloth seems to do the best with that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts