Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is the sloppiest nurser - EVER! She's got breastmilk running down her chin, getting in the folds of her neck, even way up on her cheek. I don't know how she does it!

I try and wash her neck at every diaper change but it still smells. Sometimes I'll even find the stinky white stuff in the folds - ugh. The problem is she nurses then sort of falls asleep so I don't want to wash it then. So it sits. And sits. 2-3 hours later... the rolls are smelly again. And red too.

I powder (Burts Bees) under there after her bath but then I'll later find that the powder beaded in the folds. But at least it's not stinky beads.

My friend swabs with alcohol then powders but I'm afraid that will be too harsh for DD's skin.

Any tips? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
No help here....I have the same issue!! I did find that putting the big bibs on them, the kind that look like towels and slip over the head helped out alot but became a pain to constantly use.

I am always telling my boys that they have cheesy necks and that they stink...lol...specially since the weather has gotton hotter.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Not sure if this will help but my ped told me when I had Winnie that I could tip her head gently back and insert a damp thin washcloth and just swipe under her chin back in the folds. Does that make sense?

Anyway I got in a habit of doing that and it works great.

(FWIW I wouldn't use alcohol -- even if it weren't too harsh, the fumes are pretty annoying. The washcloth I use is dampened with plain water. I also use it behind her ears -- she gets dry skin back there and this keeps it from accumulating.)

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Ick, I think every baby has this problem. I know we do! We make jokes all the time about her neck stink!
I wipe it off with a damp cloth (or rinse it well on bath days) and then try to towel it well, but when it gets really bad we actually dry it with a hair dryer on a low and cool setting. The worst part is exposing it--it helps for DH to do something interesting over her head so she wants to look at him. Baby can actually get yeast infections in those little moist folds, so I'm careful when it starts to look red and nasty. But if it's just stink I wouldn't go to the trouble.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Once in a while I find lint in Avery's neck folds...dunno how it gest there, I don't remember that happining w/ the big kids - could have though.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
ds always had stinky neck syndrome (as dh called it). it's gross and you do what you can but pretty much we found that he just out grew it. when he was able to hold his head up better and we were able to clean it better it just went away.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
We had it too. Just keep it as clean and dry as possible and it will be fine. I would NOT put alcohol on it.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I alos found that putting lotion on them makes it worse....it just rolls up and adds a sickening sweet smell to the stink...lol

·
Registered
203 Posts
Oh the dreaded stink neck! DD had that REALLY bad, much worse than DS. We just made sure we washed her neck rolls often with plain water on a washcloth. It went away when she could hold her head up better (that made it easier to wash also)! HTH

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
We have it too. I just lay him down and tilt his head back and use a damp washcloth. My husband calls it "neck-jam" instead of "toe jam". I didn't think of powder, I'll give that a try.

Speaking of, we have seriously stinky feets here too.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I'm not sure if this has been suggested but I don't have that problem because I put a thin burp cloth over his neck while I'm nursing him. Maybe that is too much of a pain in the butt? It has worked for us so far.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
We had a bit of this in the beginning. We actually used Desitin or whatever bum rash ointment we had at hand like Burt's on the redness and it cleared up practically by the next day. Every time I did a diaper change I'd tilt her head and check her neck and/or give it a swipe with a warm washcloth, making sure to DRY it as the moistness could be irritating and help with the stinkiness as things couldn't dry.

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Like others, I used to put Burt's Bees diaper rash cream in ds' folds. It at least helped with the irritation.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahwuko
Speaking of, we have seriously stinky feets here too.
My daughter has stinky feet too! I thought she was the only baby with stinky feet! She thinks it's hillarious when I kiss and smell them and go "pee-yoo".

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Noah has multiple folds of chub, so neck stink is a problem here, too. Our ped suggested using the tiniest swipe of Vaseline over the areas that get irritated, and that's been working so well. I wash the area off with a wipe, then just streak a tiny amount of vaseline over the areas that are really closed off to the air. No redness or irritation! Even the stink is less bad.

Ugh...and the feet stink! Thank goodness it's summer and he can go without socks. I blame my husband for the foot stink gene.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I use Calendula cream when her neck gets red. I wipe it daily but when that is not getting it to clear up, the cream works. If I put it on at night, the next morning it is usually clear
Although now that she is older, sitting up, etc it is pretty much gone anyway

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone!

I will continue to use water and the wash cloth. I'll get some Burts Bees diaper ointment. I'm already using the BBees powder so I'll double up. At the very least she'll smell great until the next feeding!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
ooohh, I love cheesy baby neck! I think it smells yummy.
This is where all those bird's eye flat diapers come in very handy, tuck one in under the baby's neck to catch the leaks and dribbles and dry up any milk that got past it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts