Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a mattress (had been sleeping on the floor previously) and as you know with all the flame retardants and all that, it's so stinky right now. And there's no way we can go with an organic mattress right now so please don't suggest it, it's out of the question!
:

The issue is...is there any way to "air it out" or something. Like if I leave it exposed without a sheet on during the day do you think that would help? I'm planning to put a mattress pad down first and then the sheet, but with a baby do you think I should add an extra layer under him like a blanket or something so minimize inhaling the smells? I have a few months to try and detox this thing as much as possible before the baby.

Ugh, I wish they just made this flame retardant crap optional not mandatory.
:

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I don't know about flame retardents, but I regularly spray my mattress down with a mixture of baking soda and water. No real measurements, just "some" in a spray bottle. Worked on the "musty" smell from my breasts leaking right after the baby was born, the ammonia smell of the occasional leaky diaper, and the just general odor of sweat build-up.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
My DH is an environmental scientist, and he was obsessed with this when we got our new mattress. What he recommended was letting it air out for the first day or two outside (if it's not rainy where you are)--if you can't do that, then in a ventilated garage, backyard shed, etc. That will let much of the really bad stuff off-gas quickly. And then, the higher the temperature, the more gas will be released--so, we ran the heat for several days (we have radiators, so we could turn off the heat in the other rooms and then jack up the heat in the room where the mattress was). In the summer, I guess you could do the same thing by leaving it in a hot garage. And just make sure there's ventilation to get those chemicals out of your garage.

After about a week, it stopped smelling. It doesn't get rid of everything of course, but it should help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts