Mothering Forum banner

Stinky Rock Salt Lamp?

18K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  superbsalt 
#1 ·
We got a rock salt lamp for Christmas.

http://www.internatural-alternative-...-Salt-Lamp.jpg

We plugged it in -- very pretty.

About an hour later, I noticed a "cheese" smell coming from the living room, where the lamp was. I smelled the lamp itself, and I could not smell anything. Weird. I then turned off the lamp, and left the room. A half hour later, a "moth ball" type smell filled the living room.

Now there is no smell (about 20 minutes after turning off the lamp).

I can't figure out where the smell is coming from, but for the lamp. Could this be it?

#2 ·
We have one of those lamps, and I've never noticed it smelling, but I can't wait until my daughter knocks it over and breaks it, because it sort of melts all over the table. As it gets damp from the air (like on days it rains), salt comes off it and gets all over our table. Argh!!

#7 ·
Just a thought: Could there have been some kind of dessicant (sp?) package inside the salt lamp cavity that you didn't notice when putting the bulb in? Check inside and see if there is anything in there. Does the salt lamp smell if you stick your nose up to it directly?

#8 · (Edited)
We got a rock salt lamp for Christmas.

http://www.internatural-alternative-...-Salt-Lamp.jpg

We plugged it in -- very pretty.

About an hour later, I noticed a "cheese" smell coming from the living room, where the lamp was. I smelled the lamp itself, and I could not smell anything. Weird. I then turned off the lamp, and left the room. A half hour later, a "moth ball" type smell filled the living room.

Now there is no smell (about 20 minutes after turning off the lamp).

I can't figure out where the smell is coming from, but for the lamp. Could this be it?
Yup I also felt that stinky smell even its sticky liquid ruined my table

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.