Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi mammas,

Stinky towels are the bane of my existance. I'm not sure if it's our water that's causing the problem, but we air our our bath towels and wash cloths every day and they still get that mildewy/moldy smell.
And I hate hate hate that smell.

Have any of you had this problem and been able to resolve it? I've already thrown a few towels away in disgust, but I'm thinking there must be some way to rid myself of this problem without resorting to buying new ones. And to be honest... I even tried buying new wash cloths and they started to stink within a few weeks!!!
:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Put baking soda (1 cup or more) in the wash along with the towels. Use warm or hot water to wash. Dry immediately in the dryer or line dry until fully dry. Don't fold them until they are fully dry.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastica View Post
Put baking soda (1 cup or more) in the wash along with the towels. Use warm or hot water to wash. Dry immediately in the dryer or line dry until fully dry. Don't fold them until they are fully dry.
Thanks! Do I use regular detergent with the baking soda or just put the baking soda in alone?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I don't overload the washer, use the max water level, use a tiny bit of detergent, hot wash/cold rinse + vinegar, extra rinse, dry on high heat.

Any less water than that and they stay full of detergent and catch the mustiness.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I second the vinegar idea - it made a big difference for us.

I also added an extra 10 minutes to the (extra hot) dry cycle and that seems to have helped too. I don't like using extra energy like that, but it made me stabby to take a freshly washed towel out of the closet and have it smell icky
: .

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
I have that problem to, and it irritates me to no end. I end up using bleach, tbh. I've not had any problems with bleaching the colors out.
I've found that baking soda doesn't do it (though I don't think I've used a full cup- I'll try that next).

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I think I'll have to give the vinegar a try. I typically use Tide with bleach, oxyclean (or Arm and Hammer laundry powder that's mostly baking soda) in hot water on the longest cycle.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, mammas! I tried the baking soda solution last night... we'll see how it goes with the first wet washcloth. I'm definitely going to try vinegar, too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.