Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 374 Posts

· Registered
9,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all you Portland Knitters! Angstmommy and I went to knit at a new super cool cafe/yarn shop in SE portland... Mabels Cafe I was there yesterday for 2 hours and Cait, the lovely owner helped me figure out a new project.

They have a bi-monthly new moms knitting group.. but I'm trying to get a monthly or bimonthly SnB going there. In the past our little group has met at peoples homes... but this is way better! ( someone else makes the snacks, and you don't have to clean house first!!) Who is interested.. and what evenings work best?

· Registered
2,805 Posts
I would definitely go! Any night mid-week is good, and after 6:30 is preferable, since I'm a slave to TriMet and can't get anywhere quickly. I'm a little bummed that the New Mom's knitting group is in the middle of the day. But I guess once I'm actually a new mom I'll be available, since I won't be working.

So what's the seating situation like? Comfy sofas, etc? How's the food selection? Good coffee? I've gotta get down there and check this place out!

· Registered
2,805 Posts
Sooo I rode my bike down and checked this place out yesterday. I
it! Why can't someone open one of these in my neighborhood?! Oh well, it's a nice ride down there through Laurelhurst anyway.

Her yarn selection is a bit odd though. There seems to be a ton of acrylic.
Is it because there are a lot of women knitting for babies in that neighborhood or something? I did get some fun stuff though. I love patronizing new businesses, especially friendly ones - I hope they stay in business!

Here's what I got:

A pattern for felted stuffed sheep. So cute!
Two hanks of yarn (black and white worsted wool) to make the sheep.
Three balls of really soft Italian wool (red, yellow, orange) of a brand that I've never seen before, to make summer-stripes soakers for the baby.
Three circular needles.

Hope we can all get together soon and do some knitting!

· Registered
9,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree that her yarn selection isn't the best... but she is an awesome woman.. and I'm sure the selection will get better as time goes by. (she also does custom orders..... with a 10% discount for > 10 skeins.... )

Why don't we just try and set up a weekly or bi-monthly time, and whomever shows......

Our current SnB meets (usually) every 2nd monday of the month after 6 pm. Should we just shoot for everyother monday night? (BTW they are open till 10 PM...)

Oh, Victorian, newbies are totally welcome! I have 2 friends who learned to knit at our first SnB in december... and they are hooked! (pun intended). I've only been knitting for 18 months, but I'm pretty good at helping others with the basics.

Nancy... what soaker pattern are you using? I just bought LTK.. but haven't made it yet.

· Registered
2,805 Posts
Mondays work fine for me! When should we start? This week or next?

I'm currently using the LTK pattern, but have the Fern and Faerie pattern, too. I haven't used the F&F pattern yet because it requires taking measurements, and I have no idea how big a baby's thighs, waist, etc are.

The LTK pattern is really easy, but be warned that some of her math is off. For example, it is impossible to get down to the desired number of stitches when decreasing by four stitches per row. You'll be off by two. So if you suddenly find yourself thinking, "What the hell did I do wrong? Why do I have too many/too few stitches?" - just know that it's not you.

The average knitter can finish up one of these in just a couple of days. If I cast on while riding the bus to work, I can usually finish up by the ride home the next day. Fun stuff!

· Registered
3,562 Posts
mondays work good here. Thanks for offering your help. Will I need a pattern? Should I just start with rows? I do have a knitting needle and some yarn that I bought, along with a "knitting for dummies" book (I am more dumb than they think, I still couldn't do it!)

· Registered
9,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I learned from Knitting for Dummies, I think it was an ok book
You'll learn better from me

I'd say lets start today... but I've got planns with Hubby tonight for a walk. Lets shoot for next monday.. it is a holiday.. so I'll have to find out if they are open.
I'll be coming back from a backpack trip, and I'm not sure if I'm gonna try and take any knitting on the trip.

· Registered
1,515 Posts
(peeking in) So, I'll just whisper my question. What sort of things could I learn to knit?

I'm sooo new.. But, I'm interested. I'd love to check it out. But I find myself wondering what can be knitted besides sweaters and baby booties (and diaper soakers)?

· Registered
2,805 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ja mama
(peeking in) So, I'll just whisper my question. What sort of things could I learn to knit?

I'm sooo new.. But, I'm interested. I'd love to check it out. But I find myself wondering what can be knitted besides sweaters and baby booties (and diaper soakers)?

Things I've knitted (finished):
sweaters for me, DH, various babies
scarves (great Christmas gifts!)
baby blankets
hats (ditto on X-mas)

Things I plan to knit someday soon:
felted stuffed animals
knitted toy food (fruits, veggies, eggs & bacon, etc)
felted tote bag
sweater for my dog

Other things you can knit (good for newbies)
pot holders/hot mits
cotton wash cloths