Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just over 3 weeks PP and had 5 stitches (first degree and second degree tear).<br><br>
Today I was in the bath and gently wiped the area with my hand, just to wipe away any excess lochia.<br><br>
Anyhow, I felt something weird and looked down and there was a long stitch hanging. I'm having some slight stinging, too, but that may be mostly in my head, I don't know. I just went to the bathroom and could look down and see the stitch hanging- it's probably a couple inches long.<br><br>
So I'm trying to figure out if a stitch suddenly hanging at 3 weeks PP is something I need to call the midwives about, or if it's probably normal.<br><br>
Anyone btdt?<br><br>
TIA!

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Probably what has happened is that you had a continuous suture inserted rather than interupted sutures. Part of the suture has disolved (which is supposed to happen) but a section has not and that is the bit you have hanging now.<br><br>
As it is still attached and as 3 weeks is quite a long time for suture material to remain undisolved I would suggest you call your midwife. As a midwife myself I would want to check to make sure the healing is good. I would also want to clip/remove the dangling suture to make sure it doesn't get caught on something and pull the tissue and also so it doesn't remain as a track for infection.<br><br>
I don't think it is anything to be super concerned about at this stage but I do think it needs review.<br><br>
All the best<br>
Regards<br>
Kate

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I agree with Katelove, that probably what's happened, is most of the thread has dissolved. I'd probably ask my midwife, and see if she'd like a look at it.<br>
I remember my suture thread seemed to dissolve funny, too. I think using the peri-bottle and frequent sitz baths helped wash away the partly dissolved bits.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep! called today and the nurse told me that it was likely that one part of the stitch dissolved and the other end was hanging down. She said if it's not poking me funny or bothering me to just be gentle and it'll go away on it's own sometime soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts