Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone mind telling me why this particular brand of paint is so popular with Waldorf families?

I'm genuinely curious. I have tons of Winsor and Newton and Grumbacher. Is there something wrong with using these paints in a supervised painting session?

I know that professional grade water color paints have certain metals and minerals in different colors - is this the main concern?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
personally I don't think there is anything wrong with using other high quality watercolors, if you are using true primary colors (the red will look kind of magenta). The stockmar paints I know are supposed to be totally non-toxic, and they have really nice, deep pigments.

Personally- after trying both- I'd say the stockmar crayons are more noticeably different in quality and in the sensorial experience of using them. The beeswax is so soft and smells so wonderful, the colors are much deeper.

My 4yo son goes to Waldorf kindergarten and they do all their proper Waldorf art at school. At home I am fine with "cheating" on the art supplies anyway. I believe in having the best quality art materials for kids that you can afford to have. My husband is a professional artist, I have always enjoyed making art, and our son seems to be the same way- very visual and tactile. We are teaching him art techniques using a variety of materials as he seems interested/ready. (In a slow and age-appropriate way of course, pretty normal stuff for example: he mixes his own tempera paints from primary colors and white, he sometimes uses oil pastels, he does woodworking with his own tools and at his own bench, he does lots of paper cutting and paper-and-tape construction of his own devising, and he's started doing some really neat sculpting with his beeswax, which makes me want to get him some natural clay. And we allow markers lol! And he loves sidewalk chalk.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.