Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
b'h

my two year old has some sort of stomach bug. she hasn't been keeping things down since 3:30am monday, and yesterday started diarhea as well. i'm concerned about dehydration of course, but can it be a bug that's not letting her keep things down?

anyone have any ideas of what i can do for her to get her body to not reject everything?

also, any ideas to treat dehydration at home?

thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yep, there's a nasty GI bug going around -- probably rotavirus. My one year old daughter just got over it.

When your digestive system gets invaded by a virus, your body's immune system goes on a slash-and-burn campaign to get rid of the invaders. So the virus is removed, but in the process, the lining of your poor daughter's stomach and intestines gets (temporarily) trashed as well. The means that she won't be able to absorb much from her food -- either nutrients or water -- until her GI tract heals (several days to a week).

As you're aware, the big problem is dehydration (which you can blame on the bug). It's really important to keep her well-hydrated, but of course that can be incredibly difficult if she's not keeping things down (or up). Just keep pushing clear liquids -- pedialyte or the equivalent is good because it contains salts, which she's losing in addition to water. Be careful of dairy -- when your intestinal lining is damaged, you often lose your ability to process lactose until it heals. I'm breastfeeding, so kept up with that, and I added diluted fruit juice as well. When she is able to tolerate foods, go for bland stuff (rice cakes + bananas worked for us). Also yogurt: re-introduce some good bugs into her GI tract (yes, it's dairy, but it seems to be better tolerated).

If you're lucky, she'll heal up quickly and be able to handle more and more liquids and foods and never experience significant dehydration. But please do be careful -- dehydration can happen fast, and it's dangerous. If you notice that she's getting more listless, or her mouth is dry, or she cries without tears, or she's stopped peeing (or if her pee seems very concentrated), it's probably time for a trip to the ER to get an IV. She'll hate the needle, but she'll feel so much better so quickly. But let's hope it won't come to that.

Hope she feels better soon!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
b'h

thanks. i am nursing her, but only a minute at a time, as she's been throwking that up too. so a minute every 15 minutes or so, and some smart water (distilled water with electrolytes) in between.

i suppose only time will tell.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
I know it's cold out right now so it's not as appealing, but for little kids I really like things like popsicles & those pedialyte freezer pops. It seems like the fluid goes in more slowly that way & is less likely to come back up. I also had a friend whose mom used to put an ice cube inside a damp washcloth (tie it in there) and let her kids suck on it -- same thing, it goes in very slowly that way. Some kids tolerate little sips of something like diluted 7-up better than plain water too. I also agree about the dairy. Our ped actually suggests avoiding it for at least a week after symptoms are gone. You might also check out the "power of probiotics" thread below.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.