Mothering Forum banner

Stomach/Digestive Issues--What could it be?

437 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  thriftyqueen 
#1 ·
I have been having stomach problems lately. Mostly just a burning pain in my stomach, what feels like mild cramps, and a lot of constipation issues. I had never had constipation issues until last summer (usually more diarrhea). Some days, like today, I feel like I may have hemoirriods and it is very painful. I feel like I need to go #2, but most of the time can't go. This has sporadically been going on since the summer time. Last summer I was to the point of enemas, laxatives, etc to help me go. Then it got better, then worse, then better again.

Little background that may help. I had my gallbladder removed 8 years ago. I have always had issues with dairy and very rarely have milk (occasionally). My son is GF so I tried doing GF for a few months, but didn't help the constipation. It did help the stomach pains somewhat, but they are back again. Also, I crave sweets like crazy. Oh and I was having some issues with my tailbone for a while, but have been chiropractoring for that and it hasn't really helped.

Do I need to do a colon cleanse, flush of some sort, special diet, something else to help this? What could be causing these symptoms?

#2 ·
Do you take Lactaid? It might help with the dairy problems.

I also had my gallbladder out years ago. A couple of years ago I started having similar problems. It lead up to me having an old stone that had hidden in my liver coming down and getting stuck in my bile duct. Do you have a GI Dr? I would start by asking for a liver enzyme test.

#3 ·
I have had ongoing issues with digestion and constipation and my suggestion would be to go GF and dairy free. Dairy is pretty much hidden in many, many foods and it takes great care to go 'dairy free'. I'm sure you know this if your son is GF. And in my experience it does take months to clear out the body. Gluten will last in your digestive tract for weeks and weeks and weeks particularly if you are having trouble digesting it and it is seeping into your lower gut undigested.

It is sooo common to have intolerances to these foods. What happens is that as we age we become less able to digest certain foods, and once you add in stress and the standard highly refined diet most of us have... well our bodies can't keep up. So they weaken and some of the food we eat (these allergen foods) enter our lower digestive tract undigested and disrupt the proper flow of our bodies. Then the cycle perpetuates becasue you get diharea or constipation and so the entire digestive system goes into distress and further weakens...

If you go gluten and dairy free you should get long term relief pretty quickly.

Also you could do a cleanse with herbs and tea and find relief that way.

#4 ·
My chiro had me do two things that have helped my body pain, but also had the nice side effect of helping my GI issues (mostly nausea and "sour stomach" for me). First, I did a 21-day yeast cleanse with a couple of supplements (a probiotic, Thorne Research's Artecin and Thorne Research's SF722). Then, working the accupressure points for the ileocecal valve has helped amazingly. I was having really bad hip pain and mentioned that I was getting stomach aches with it, too. The ileocecal stuff has helped both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.