Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor Christian has spent the last 24 hours vommiting everything he has eaten, along with stomach acid. I took him to the Dr to rule out any infections, etc and it seems he just has a case of stomach flu. The Dr said to nurse him only for a minute at a time and wait 20 minutes inbetween, so he only gets small amounts of milk at a time. I must admit this makes sense, but I am having a hard time doing that since he likes to nurse to sleep. He just nursed now for 5 minutes and then was asleep, but I fear all he drank will come back up when he wakes. Any suggestions on how to get him to sleep when he clearly wants to nurse?<br><br>
Also, has anyone here used Pedialyte? The Dr also recommended it if he can't hold anything else down.<br><br>
Thanks.<br><br>
Oh, and BTW, a sick baby with stomach flu and co-sleeping is not FUN! LOL!

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
Pedialyte is good for artificially fed babies, but not necc for bfed babies. Breastmilk is much much better for them. It is absorbed almost immediately. Even if he vomits 5 mins after he nurses, he has already digested some of your milk.<br><br>
Plus he is getting antibodies from the milk, which of course, the fake stuff doesn't have.<br><br>
Small frequent feeds is a good idea, if baby agrees to it. Keep lots of towels handy, good luck!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
When I bfed my oldest son, and he had a stomach flu, my pediatrician told me that if he couldn't keep down the bmilk, to give him small amounts of pedialyte until it was kept down consistently, and then to go back to bfing. I know that the Bmilk is better for him b/c it has your antibodies which will help him get rid of the bug. I hope the poor little guy gets better soon. It is no fun when they are sick and helpless.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts