Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it was time we started a chat thread about something other than dating

what's going on in your lives?

I am having a rough time with my 2yo. not sure if it is situational or just him being 2. He is such a monster at times and then melts my heart at others.

my baby will be 1 in just a couple of weeks

I feel like we are moving into a new stage of our lives, which leaves me optimistic for the first time in a long time
I feel like I am slowly gaining my identity back in a way. it's so empowering!

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
I don't have anything new going on - I've just been busy as usual. I'm in school full-time taking pre-reqs for the nursing program, I doula on the side, and I work part time at a campus job. I manage to have Fridays off to spend time with DS. I have 3 weeks off starting next week and I am SOOOOO excited!!
DS was approved for therpary today for his developmental delays so we get to go for an hour every Friday, I'm really happy his pedi approved it!

April - I can't believe your baby is almost 1, it seems like just a few months ago that you had a tiny baby! I'm happy to hear that you are feeling optimistic and regaining your identity. That is a good thing! You are a strong and courageous mama and I admire your strength.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I'm feeling mildly lost at the moment: I'm only working one job, school is over, X and I have made progress in getting along... What's a girl to do with herself?!

DS has been so funny lately. Saturday after my HUGE exam, I went to get a pedicure (I needed some pampering!!), and when I got home, I was cuddling with Ds on the couch, and he pointed to my toes and said, "Oh WOW!!" I said, "Yes! Mommy got her toes painted! Thank you for noticing!" He was facinated by the sparkly nail polish and kept touching my toes and then his toes. I am actually enjoying his two year old self, even though I have been terrified my whole life of having a two year old. He still isn't talking much, just words here or there, and I am uncertain whether I should be worried and start looking into therapies, or if I should just let him talk when he feels he is ready to talk.

Rainbowmoon - I know what you mean about the monster melting your heart... DS makes this one facial expression that gets me every single time.

Yesterday my BIL threw a fit about my cat and told my sister he wanted to get rid of her.
I've had that cat for 9 years, and she is going NOWHERE. He made some remark about the cat not being sanitary - to which I rudely laughed. That man is more unsanitary than my cat. 4 words: Wipe the Toilet Seat. Living with family is truly an... interesting.... thing.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
wow, Jillian, you're makin me feel like a slacker. I wanna do the midwife thing too, but can't seem to get motivated. Kick me in the ass, someone!

ED, family is something else, huh. I love that I live with NO grown men for the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE! My 8yo ds pees in the wastebasket sometimes, but he's forgiven as a sleepwalker :LOL

I've been realizing that so much of my emotional energy goes towards issues w/ X, time that could be used in other more productive pursuits. We're hashing out a crazy terrible court thing that's unavoidable (violence), so it's a constant balance b/t keeping my arse covered & letting him take over my life.

Anyway, I'm watching some kids for $, working @ a music store that's rad, playing bass in a band, working at a winery bottling wine, and swimming as much as possible in 100 degree heat.

What else is goin on, mamas?

·
Registered
523 Posts
We single parents sure have full lives. I never thought I could be sooo tired sometimes. I've even given myself a bedtime.

I"m working full-time durning the week, and looking for another job, but very quietly. I have an application sitting on my desk to back to school and get my masters in social work, I work the weekends banquet waitressing for weddings, (how ironic), and sometimes train dogs on the side. Too busy, and tired all the time. I look back and remember fondly of sitting on the couch all day eating bon bons...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hello Everyone!

I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one running around nonstop!

I'm working full time and trying to spend as much time with Finn and Ella (my first baby-she's a german shepherd) as I can. Luckily after moving out this month all my free time is focused on them and not trying to argue with X.

I'm also feeling like life is moving in a good direction for the first time in years! It feels great. I'm HAPPY. It's so simple but true!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ooo, a chatty thread!

Let's see ... I have finished one summer course, am currently taking a second summer course, I am also doing an independant study project for the summer. This fall I'll be taking five courses -- and maybe continuing the IS project. I hope to, because I really want to continue working on it and doing it for credit helps motivate me!

Meanwhile I'm homeschooling the kids: it's the last year for my 17yo so we'll be focused on college prep work ... So I'm presently working on organizing our next ten months or so ahead of time: a neat trick considering we're unschoolish by nature. Then again I am so busy I have to be super-super organized ...

I'm not working for pay right now (though I could really use the money): I just can't bring myself to be away from the children more than I already am.

But between the three of them, my schooling, keeping the house up (not just cleaning, I mean maintainence and all) I am so tired!
: I feel like the laundry is never, ever done. And every hour of every day there are ten things I could do and should do and I have to pick the top one or two and let the rest slide.

Still, life is pretty good. I'm happy. Mostly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
: I guess I'm the downer of the group
:

Been trying to discover that thing called happy, I feel I put on more of a show for people I'm around like my boys or some other people. But most times I catch myself being depressed, and or crying, like just recently.

I'm trying to play it off as just dealing with an anniversary coming up. My Dad's 1 year is hitting here real soon, and I miss him so much. And trying to deal with the hurt of my son's mom leaving. I feel like I'm loosing my best friend with that one, and just remembering all the good times we had before Elijah was born. I don't regret Elijah being born, just being a lone can hurt yet.

But I try to keep myself busy. I have to be at work in an hour!
: Where the boss hates me, and everytime I ask for a day off I get the "We won't give you full-time if you keep calling off."..... I . Don't . Care. If I take a day off its due to my boys needing me, or family. So Family will always comebefore work.

I'm sluggishly pushing myself through school too, I'm looking at other options when Elijah gets better
: to get this career on the ball.

Tay is currently wrestling the cat again. Score is 2-6 (tay winning). You'd think my cat would learn and run, but alas he's still buggin him.

I'm impatiently waiting for a friend to show up for the night to be with the boys. And Elijah's night nurse as well. I'm not too fond of this one, seeming she seems to sleep more than anything. I've talked to her about the problem, maybe she'll try again for the better. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Sorry, I just said mamas earlier, Hobbes. I meant mamas & papas. You're in my thoughts, every time I read a post of yours, I'm sending good juju for y'all. I doubt your boss hates you, probably just consumed by capitalism...let us know how it goes w/Elijah.

I came to work today to find...ah, my X waiting outside the front door. Oh, wait this is the same X who I have a restraining order on...that tried to choke the breath from me...who assaulted my friends, pushing me out of the way to do so...I started sweating & breathing heavy, freaking out...He doesn't leave...asks to talk to the owner, I told him he wasn't here & slammed the door.

Bleck. what a crappy way to start the day. I hate the feeling I get around him, the fact that his awful actions have changed my life so much.

*sigh* I guess I'm raining too today. *pulls self up by bootstraps*

·
Registered
557 Posts
Mountain -- how scary! You have a restraining order? Did you call the police? Did he go away on his own??

for you!

·
Registered
376 Posts
: new kid here again

hobbes, cuz im new i dont really know what you're dealing with on the newest lil guy, hope its something that will improve ?

everyone else, glad to know there's so many strong women out there handling the single parent stuff so well. i'm just still pregnant and have so many questions on what's gonna happen how and when and wishing that i didnt have to work full time so i could spend more time with the ds when he's finally here. and jilian, i feel like a slacker being concerned about just working full time ... let alone going to school to top it off!

i'm wondering if i'm almost in a better place with the ex having just disappeared but at least not giving me grief on a regular basis. although, i have a feeling there's grief to come .... not comfortable with him just hiding out and no word on anything. last i knew his parents didnt even know i existed let alone was carrying his child - they have no other grandchildren - not looking forward to all the paperwork and whatever else is gonna be involved in my future with cs and all. and with him being ultimately a jerk, and i think he's back living in alabama, dont want to have to share custody at all!

have the baby room painted and all the furniture there ... dragged all the old baby clothes out that i still had and started to organize it. but i have been slacking quite a bit on the housework, keep thinkin the nesting will kick in again any time soon, just been working a lot of ot to put as much money away as possible and its soooo stinkin hoooottttt heeerrrreee!!!! 100 degrees all the time what the crap?
:

·
Registered
81 Posts
well, for me things arent progressing too badly- at last. After the two months from hell, I can see a glimmer at the end of the tunnel. The kids have settled pretty well, and we have new house guidelines to follow. Their dad has been behaving pretty well, and his parents have left me alone
. Im studying part time and looking to do more next year and my youngest has just started kindy so I get a couple of hours to myself three days a week- which is great. Im the sort that has to have time out, for the good of everyone.
I even have a date coming up
: but I have to wait another three months...
still, for him Ive waited a year, so a couple more months wont hurt.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Hi!
I work full time and have ds any other time during the week. My stbx is picking up the rest of his stuff tomorrow. I still can't believe its over between us I am going through lots of emotional stuff about it.
Ds(15 months) went to sleep WITHOUT nursing to sleep tonight!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
glad to hear how everyone is doing. Jillian I am so proud of you for going back to school! and I am proud of each and every one of us here.

I started a writing class yesterday and scheduled to start another next Fri! I am so excited and this is the first thing I have done for myself in over a year (seriously!
) I haven't had a moment alone in over a year!I have always have at least one kid with me at all times. I realized this just the other day.
:

·
Premium Member
16,735 Posts
These chatty threads are fun , we should have one each month...good idea?

I'm furiously working on my writing, fiction mostly. I hope to have something at least *ready* for submission. I'm working on a very looonng story (novel~~just hate to commit to that) I consider it an act of 'practice' because, it's not easy to pull together all of those small parts into something that is desireable to read (?) Who knows???

X and I are getting along, he told me just today that his parents still consider me family (sniff)

DS hasn't been having manic episodes as frequently over the summer, it's been a relief...maybe it is because there is no pressure on him from school, hope not.

Life is pretty good I guess. I AM cured of wanting to date (dare I say "ever again"?) I had the worlds worst date the other week. I wrote about it very briefly in my blog (on tribe) I didn't even include the whole exasperating evening (sheesh!)

peace out,

Kelly

·
Banned
1,548 Posts
Still no communication with the ex, for over 2 months now.
I took him to court, and without getting into details, there should be a judgement against him within the week.

Now I have to change the subject quick to keep from crying.... ummm...

I'm 14 weeks pregnant tomorrow. I'm feeling great and the baby's moving a lot. Still just looking fat, and not showing yet. The father isn't adjusting well, but I'll make another post about that.

One of my friends is moving away on Monday. So we have big plans this weekend to see him off. He's not moving too far away, though, so it's not like I'll never see him again.

Oh, and I found out recently that my mother has skin cancer. I've been telling her for years that her moles looked suspicious, and she never went to get them checked. They look BAD.

Plus, I'm having a fibromyalgia flare up, leaving me chair/bedridden.

Heh... this all sounds so depressing. But, I've been trying to keep positive.

You know, I don't realize how well I handle stress until I write down all the things that are going on, and realize I'm a pretty darn strong woman!

to all of my fellow strong single parents!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yay! I love threads like these.

I start clinicals in the fall and i'm beyond paranoid (LOL see siggy). I've been trying to spend more and more time with dd because I don't want her to feel neglected when school starts and she needs to go back to school full time.
:

Things with my ex aren't going too hot
He reduced his visitation because he was "too tired" and "couldn't barely stay awake" when she was there and then proceeded to have friends/girlfriend waiting for me to leave so they could see him after. I would literally be buckling dd in the car seat and his g/f would come pull right up next to me and run into the house.
I confronted him and it almost got physical. He ended up breaking a door while my DD was in his house and now she doesn't like daddy anymore b/c he yells at mommy
:

Everything is going great though despite some of the drama, were planning a weekend getaway or two before school starts and i'm soooo excited. I think we both just need a little break right now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts