Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My 2 yr old ds has been on antibiotics about 3 times in 6 months! I'm at my wits end with my pediatrician but figure they're all alike and this is my first child so I still go through all the fear associated with being a mom, almost all the time (esp lately). He hasn't been vaxed yet and that is another fearful thing I deal with (especially upon reading this today: <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40280560/ns/health-infectious_diseases/" target="_blank">http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40280560/ns/health-infectious_diseases/</a></p>
<p>These kind of articles always freak me out a bit, regardless of how much I feel I know (it's never enough!).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>O.k., enough venting, sorry,..... to my question: DS got bitten by an ant on his stomach (he has been bitten before on his legs and the reaction was similar, but it cleared up after about 5 days). At first I though it was a mosquito bite so I didn't do the whole nine-yard treatment I normally would (wash w/ soap and water, apply baking soda paste solution and ice). It wasn't until the next day the bite got worse, was red and irritated looking and he was complaining that it hurt. So I took him into the doctor who said without even getting up close to look that it was infected, could be staph, most likely strep and that we should treat for both w/ Cephalexin for 10 days. Then she wanted to take a throat culture to test for strep. And of course he had strep (don't we all, all the time in our throats?). So with the same anger I always have when I'm given a prescription from this doctor, I left the office unsure but compliant. Now this is the fourth day he's been on the antibx and he's fine. The redness is gone, no sign of infection and I am wondering if I should just stop giving him the anti-b or what y'll think? Can you stop a antibiotic half way through?</p>

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
no, no, no! if you stop an antibiotic halfway through, you have killed off the bacteria that was least resistant to the antibiotic and allow to grow the bacteria that is somewhat resistant to the antibiotic. resistance to antibiotics is a scary thing...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts