Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Is store bought kombucha the same as if you make it yourself at home?  Does it have the same/similar nutrients, detox abilities, etc? </p>
<p>I have access to the following brands- Synergy G.T.'s Kombucha, Herbucha, and Kombucha Wonder Drink.  Do you know anything about these brands, or have one that you recommend?</p>
<p>I do know that making it myself would be cheaper, but other than that, are there benefits that are found in homemade that are not in store-bought?   Is the store-bought even made the same way?  I know that store-bought kefir is made with a powdered culture, no grains, but is it the same for kombucha?</p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
<p>What I can tell you is that I've bought bottled kombucha and left it out to make a big scoby from which I then brewed for several months, so I guess it's close enough.  HTH!</p>

·
Registered
570 Posts
I don't trust any kombucha that isn't sold in the refrigerator section. The cultures in real raw kombucha makes gasses, and the bottles must be burped, when at room temperature to avoid explosion.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
<p>Sorry, let me clarify...the kombucha I bought was from the refrigerated section.  I poured it into a mason jar and covered the top with a coffee filter help in place by a rubber band.  I fed it a bit of sugar every so often and soon had a nice big scoby.  I used that scoby to ferment a fresh gallon of tea, and it doubled, so I kept it going.  Had no problems, and it was cheaper and easier than ordering a scoby online.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts