Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made seitan once a few months ago and it turned out great. I actually don't know if there are different ways, but after kneading the vital wheat gluten for a while, I threw chunks into some veggie broth and cooked it for a bit.

Tomorrow my dinner plans include seitan stroganoff and I was hoping to make extra seitan and store it somehow.Ideally, I could stick a meal's worth in the freezer, but if it won't turn out well, I am open to storing it in the fridge and using it sooner.

How do I prepare the seitan for storage- do I boil it in broth, then cool and freeze? Or freeze before cooking?

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
I use one of those Chinese food soup take out containers, fill with broth and put a seitan chunk in it. I put that in the freezer and defrost the whole thing when I need it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
There are a billion ways to store it, but if you want to freeze it that's fine. You can do what rootzdawta said and put it in a container or plastic sealable bag with some of the broth or you can drain it and freeze it dry too (I tend to freeze it dry because it takes less time to defrost). It should keep for 6 months.

The fridge I think it keeps about a week and again you can store it in it's broth or you can drain it and store it dry there too in a sealed container or plastic sealable bag.

Lastly you can boil the seitan as you did or you can roll it into a log shape, roll it in tin foil and bake it at 160C for about 90 minutes (for a large batch, if you search Seitan O' Greatness on the Post Punk Kitchen forum there's a whole massive thread about baked seitan and a bazillion different recipes). I love mine baked.

Or you can put it in a crock pot of water with a lid in the oven and baste it like roasting turkey or chicken or you can just plop it down on a tray and bake it whole like a roast (or put it into a bread pan for a roundish roast).

I think you can also break it into small chunks and deep fry it but it's not exactly healthy that way :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.