Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another board that I post on, a daycare worker has posted about her dislike of cloth for several reasons, one being that the worn diapers are put in bags and then smell, whereas the disposables are put in a waste disposal unit and never smell.

She was quite reasonable - although she clearly dislikes the cloth she understands the environmental issues - and I want to give her some practical suggestions about how to get a system going where they dont have the smell problem. Three or four of their children are in cloth.

I'd like some practical ideas that I could pass on over the storage of used diapers. I use a dry pail at home and no smell, but they have several children's diapers so would need to presumably keep them separate in order to give them to parents.

Ideas, anyone????

· Registered
8,274 Posts
How agout zippered wetbags and then maybe put those inside of a larger sterlite pail or something? Especially if there are more than one child in the daycare with cloth.........they could each go in their zippered bag and then the zippered bags into a sterlite type plastic pail with lid.

· Registered
1,725 Posts
My daycare uses the zippered wet bags that I provide and no one complains about the smell. They also dunk (not something that I've ever asked them to do, but which I really appreciate). They keep the wetbag right next to the disposable diaper pain.

Karla

· Registered
5,550 Posts
I use something that works great for my daycare person -- one of those small, soft cooler bags. Designed to hold soda and such for an outing. It's insulated and waterproof, and holds about 6 large diapers. It works VERY well -- no smell problems -- and my daycare person LOVES my cloth diapers. She is trying to convince another child's mom to try them now!

· Registered
5,550 Posts
You just wipe it out! Because it's plastic, nothing seeps in. It's very easy to clean. There is also a hard plastic insert that you can put in it to keep food from getting crushed. I have used that as well, and it's easy to take that out and handwash it or stick it in the dishwasher.

I got mine at Target. It was a while ago, but I've heard others say they've found similar items at Walmart.

· Registered
2,184 Posts
I like the idea of the soft cooler. My daycare has been doing cloth all fall and have been cooperative, but I know it produces some stink for them. I have a small wet bag, but it's too little and I have experimented with some laundry bags, but I don't like them very well.

· Registered
907 Posts
That would make me sad too, or mad, seeing my dd's diapers "banished" like that! Why do people act like disposables don't stink? They just wrap them in gobs of plastic!!!

At daycare we use a zippered PUL pail liner inside a small sterilite pail. No smell, and I just take the bag home with me at night. I just brought home a full bag of dirty diapers from a weekend trip and there wasn't any smell at all, not even from riding in the car with it for 3 hours.

Right now dd is the only one in cloth (and likely to be the only one forever!), but I would think a center with multiple kids in cloth would have room for the coolers, or even hanging up wet bags on pegs to store different kids diapers.

· Registered
2,695 Posts
How many dipes do you usually send with your kids? I am trying to establish a stash so I can ask DD's daycare to use cloth, especially since they are REALLY good about changing her every 2 hrs or less. I am just trying to figure out how many I need. I've never thought about how many I use every day on the weekend, plus I should probably send more.

Thanks for starting this thread BTW!

· Registered
2,184 Posts
I send five diapers for an eight hour daycare day. I always have sposies at daycare for backup. Since daycare does not have access to the toilet in their room and my ds consistently poops about the same time each morning dcp use a sposie once each day. I know its gross, but I rationalize it by most people to it that way all the time.

· Registered
1,837 Posts
Quote:
My daycare uses the zippered wet bags that I provide and no one complains about the smell. They also dunk (not something that I've ever asked them to do, but which I really appreciate). They keep the wetbag right next to the disposable diaper pain.
This is exactly how it works with my daycare. We have the cooler bag from Walmart that holds 4 days worth of diapers!!! I know this cause we just tested it out this weekend on a trip!
And it zippers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.