Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLease direct me if there is a more appropriate forum for this question. I would like to store some drinking/spare water just in case my city water is unavailable for whatever reason. I am thinking that this water will probably never be used, but I'd like to have it just in case. I don't have a lot of space to store, but I think I could stack a few gallons next to my washing machine. I really don't want to purchase expensive containers.

Could I rinse gallon milk jugs? woudl that work? shoudl I put some soap/water into the jugs and let them soak before refilling for storage? What about buying and adding a drop of bleach, the rinsing well and refilling?

I already have my pantry prepared with extra grains, vegetables, batteries, 1st aid supplies, etc..... but then I realized that we woudl dehydrate before eating all of that food!!!

Please give me your best tips!!! TIA

·
Registered
299 Posts
You could use washed, milk jugs for only a short time. They are not produced for long term and the plastic breaks down. 2 litre pop bottles and juice bottles would be better for a longer term. I purchased 6-gallon glass carboys (for wine making) off of craigslist and store a lot that way, although, for some, glass wouldn't be prudent. Water storage was also discussed here:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=water+storage

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.