Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting the Story of the World volume 2, for my 1st grader. I want to teach her a little about the middle ages, because I am taking them to a ren fair in a few weeks, and think it would be a pretty neat tie in. Should I get the activity book too? I read a review that said it was more for 2nd to 5th graders, would you say that is accurate? My dd is a long way from 2nd grade level. Are there any other good books out there that teach history in a way that will keep a young child interested? Thanks.

· Registered
2,030 Posts
I don't have volume 2, but we have volume 1. I think the activities in the guide can be modified to suit a younger kid. There aren't just activity suggestions and references, but also coloring pages and maps and such in the back.

· Registered
719 Posts
We are doing volume 2 and previously did Vol 1. IMO, they are both suitable for grades 1-4. There are lots of activities and book recommendations so you can pick and choose what will work for your child. The book recommendations are great ways to read more about a certain topic using real books.

You might also want to look into Knights and Castles: 50 Hands On Activities to Experience The Middle Ages by Avery Hart and Paul Mantell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.