Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sha_lyn View Post
History Odyssey level II
We use STOW as part of History Odyssey... I don't think it is quite enough in itself for our history loving kids... but it is good for younger children...

· Banned
815 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by carmel23 View Post
We use STOW as part of History Odyssey... I don't think it is quite enough in itself for our history loving kids... but it is good for younger children...

Do you mean SOTW or HO isn't enough? Level II is very intensive IMHO. I've had to scale back on the writing asignments for my 11DD. Level II does not use SOTW.

· Registered
1,444 Posts
After that you could be using original documents, original sources. Good luck. We use History Odyssey, too. History Odysey tells you what original sources to use, and other things, too. I had to follow along with my daughter last year (8th gr), it was challenging, and I was a straight A student.

· Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the replies. DD is 8, grade 3. We love SOTW and I was just browsing through things and realized it ends near grade 6. Of course, I shouldn't be worrying about this now but I am.

I have recently heard of History of US. I will take a look at it a little more in depth. We are planning a trip to Boston next year, so I thought History of US was a good starting point since we haven't covered much American History.

Thank you again!

2Late

· Registered
1,118 Posts
I am considering using SOTW next year, really only because everyone else seems to love it, and it is recommended for "Wiggly Willys" like my son because it so hands on.

BUT--I am concerned that my son won't know anything about his own country, our leadership, the states, famous people, etc. for many years from now if we do things chronollogically. And knowing American/State history is required around here.

I don't want another First Grader to mention learning about Columbus, or George Washington and have my son say "Who?" I would look like a failure to the other public school mothers I'm sure. So, what do I do?

· Banned
815 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
I am considering using SOTW next year, really only because everyone else seems to love it, and it is recommended for "Wiggly Willys" like my son because it so hands on.

BUT--I am concerned that my son won't know anything about his own country, our leadership, the states, famous people, etc. for many years from now if we do things chronollogically. And knowing American/State history is required around here.

I don't want another First Grader to mention learning about Columbus, or George Washington and have my son say "Who?" I would look like a failure to the other public school mothers I'm sure. So, what do I do?

Would you expect the other mothers to look like failures if you DS mentioned something from Ancient History that their kiddos didn't know?

IMHO so what if learning chronologically isn't going by the PS schedule. It is going by the real world schedule. History happened/happens in chronological order.

· Registered
157 Posts
I take a break between books 3 and 4 to do some US history. SOTW doesn't go in depth enough and it's the PERFECT time chronologically. We tend to teach from a biblical perspective, so we used the 3 book Light and the Glory for Children series. It fit in pretty much seamlessly and is written in a very similar manner.

-Kristi

· Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Daisymommy,

I always worry about that too...that someone will think DD is 'lacking' in knowledge and it will be ALL MY FAULT!! It's a crazy worry but I still worry about it. I want everyone to see how smart DD is and just think homeschooling is great. Just validation...that's all. I know DD is smart and I think homeschooling is great so that's all that should matter. But, we are going to do some American History this year. Just some basic stuff.

I don't think other kids are dumb when DD (and 4 year old DS too) know so much about Greek and Roman history....I just think SOTW rocks!
Another note on SOTW....we LOVE using the CDs. We always have one going in the van. We listen to them over and over. The kids actually beg for it sometimes. I get them from our local library.

2Late

· Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sha_lyn View Post
Do you mean SOTW or HO isn't enough? Level II is very intensive IMHO. I've had to scale back on the writing asignments for my 11DD. Level II does not use SOTW.
Story of the World in itself would never be enough for my kids, thus we use History Odyssey. So when we are finished with History Odyssey levels one (we're doing Medieval in the fall with ds aged 7), we will do History Odyssey level II. We already go beyond the reading list with history odyssey level I now, and I couldn't imagine *just* reading SOTW and then being done with history--even with all the work books and such.

Plus, History Odyssey is more then history--it is writing and reading, etc. So it probably tried to be all the writing that a child is doing... or at least all of the analytical writing (as opposed to creative). So it should be a lot. And I *like* stuff that asks for too much, because it is easier to cut back then add on or make stuff up when you realize it isn't enough.

My 2 cents.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.