Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of strange issues that have occurred since I gave birth almost a month ago. I'm 99 per cent sure they are both linked to my birth experience.

The first: I have a strange tingling sensation on my back, on my spine, right where my bra strap hits.

The second: I have numbness on my butt, near my tailbone.

The details of my birth experience: an emergency c-section under general anesthesia when 3 attempts at an epidural failed. I also had an IV, a catheter, I think I was given pain meds by mouth, and was at one point also given pitocin and another oral drug to try to end a contraction that was lasting 4+ minutes. So, lots and lots of meds, not to mention whatever they gave me when I woke up from surgery. I also spent 3-4 days lying down in the hospital bed, since the GA messed up my digestive tract and I was vomiting and had diarrhea-- and was on an IV for fluids and for medication to help the digestive tract. I got up to go to the bathroom and to change the baby, but that was it until I got rid of the IV and could move more freely. I spent so much time in bed lying down/reclining that I actually had blisters on my butt-- I think I was only a few days away from full-on bedsores.

So. With this information, is it normal to have a numb butt 1 month later? What about the tingling on my back? I *think* the epidural was lower than the place that's tingling, but I don't know for sure.

Any ideas? The tingling in particular is really bugging me. TIA.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I am sorry you are continuing to deal with 'stuff' while babymooning.

I would opt to go see a chiropractor.
Your tailbone issues may simply be from those crummy hospital beds, or it could be that at some point in pregnancy/delivery your tailbone was broken or dislocated. (I have always needed an adjustment after birth and or hospitaliztion, my tailbone readily dislocates!
)
As for your middle/upper back, that might again be crummy beds or what I think is more likely is this...Are you Bfing? I get similer problems unless I am very careful to not lean forward or slouch while nursing. Again an adjustment will help, but the added weight of milky boobs and regularly nursing can tweek your back if not well supported.
Hope you are able to resolve both soon.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I would also opt for the chiro. It could be your muscles and spine moving back to a "normal" position. A good chiro can help this along and ease discomfort.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much, I hadn't even considered that it might be simply muscular, or something that a chiro could fix. I'll definitely try getting an adjustment and see if that helps.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I get the numbness around my tailbone (and pain in my lower back) all the time since my son was born, but I assumed it was from sitting more to breastfeed rather than my labor or c-section (since I did occasionally have trouble in the past). When I finally went to a chiropractor, he took x-rays and it showed my tailbone never fused and hooks back up inside. I could imagine that if your tailbone broke or was dislocated it would feel pretty similar and give you the numbness.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
I have sensitivity at the site of my spinal even now, 5 years later. I've asked around (OBs, massaage therapists, chiropractors, other moms) and it seems that this isn't uncommon. However, posture while feeding or holding your babe or a habitual sleeping posture can cause the symptoms you mention too. And it's easy to adopt a habitually poor posture after a c/s.

You may want to ask your care prrovider just to rule out a medical condition. Then find a webster trained chiro, massage therapist (which can also help reduce adhesions that follow surgeries), or PT.

Congrats on your babe, and I hope you heal quickly!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.