Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, today was the first time a total stranger has approached me re: being pregnant. I was at Whole Foods doing our grocery shopping and a woman in her early 70's (I'd say) came up to me and said "Miss, please be careful." I looked at her and then at my surroundings thinking that there was broken glass or a wet floor or something. When I couldn't see anything, I asked her why I should be careful.

She looked at me and started into a 30 second infomercial on why vaccines are unsafe and how I should be careful about them for my unborn child.

Well, little did she know she was preaching to the choir, as we've already decided we don't want to vaccinate. But I thought it was very strange that a complete stranger would approach me in a busy grocery store and start telling me about her opinion on vaccines. Regardless of what I think is best for children re: vaccinating, I would never approach a total stranger and start telling them not to vaccinate based on safety. Isn't that weird?!?!?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Peeking in from the December club; had to reply

I am not going to say that this is true of all older women, but many do tend to say whatever is on their minds regardless of how well they know the other person-- if at all. I used to live in Florida, very close to a retirement community and would get random comments all the time. Examples:

- "You look just like my sister...Let me look at you. Oh my God, just like her. Poor thing died in '72. Morty, come over here! Doesn't she look just like Rose?"

- "What are you gonna do with that broccoli? I hope you're not going to boil it; that spoils the vitamins...Just make a natural olive oil, lemon, and seasonings mixture and put it in a ziplock bag with the florets. Leave it in the fridge for a few hours. Delicious!"

- "Those are very big candy bars...I bet you have a few kids at home?" (I replied, no, I had no kids, just one big kid-- my husband.) To which she commented, "You'll have children, darling. In a few years. I just know it!"

LOL! I bet your lady with the vaccination warning knows these gals.

By the way, yes, I do bear an uncanny resemblance to the late Rose (I got shown a picture she kept in her wallet at all times), that broccoli recipe is an amazing side dish, and, just a few years after the prediction, here I am expecting unexpectedly.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I actually like it if someone comes up and shares something that I 'agree' with...but if it is something like "you shouldn't carry that baby (in the sling) all the time! You're gonna spoil her!!" ugh...then I just nod and smile...or if I am passionate about it (nursing in public etc) then I may 'fight back' and retort with "I'm not gonna eat in a bathroom, and neither is my baby/toddler!" or whatever!

I think I am at fault for giving advice also! If I see a struggling mom I usually mention how much the baby slings helped me...and if I 'connect' with her I will trade numbers and either make her one or find a cheap one for her to try or MAYBE even let her borrow one of mine!

·
Registered
594 Posts
That is surprising!
maybe not so much the fact that it was an older woman, though. But usually it's the propaganda-type stuff that gets unsolicited, IME
not the stuff that's actually true
:

at Juliansmom's experiences!

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is interesting! I wonder how I would have felt if I wasn't a non-vaxing mom, though!

The most random, mean comment a stranger made to me once was when I was carrying my sleeping son in a ring sling and this lady came up to me and lectured me on how I should never, ever breastfeed in a sling (not that I was at the time, but whatever) because it was the same thign as bottle propping while pushing your baby around in a stroller.
I was just aghast and just stared at her until she walked away. Then I burst into tears. (Yeah, pregnancy hormones on top of being a person who hates confrontation!) :p

So yes, I think I would much preferred to have your stranger conversation than that one I had.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts