Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods, pls move if this isnt the right location,,

So, we've had free cable for a year, the previous owner never had it turned all the way off. But now, Comcast has cut it off. Ive just learned that you cant pay less than fifty bucks to watch commercial TV. F**k em.

So, all you families who live without TV and have lots of kids, how do you do it? I cant stand the thought of wasting all that money just for the privlidge of watching TV.

Lately Id been working with my gal on watching less, even tak ing the TV out of the living room but shes kinds hooked. Me, I love to watch it, if its there I'll watch. However, the house feels so much nicer when its not on. We all communicate better, our interactions are better, etc..

Urgh, babies are needing me. Any advice dispensed will be well appreciated.

goodnight!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
YES YES YES! I have to FIGHT with my daughter on this each and every day. All I hear during the day is "mummy, I want to watch a Mooooooovie!" give me a penny each tiem I hear that and I would be rich. I think fortunately for us, we won't be able to afford it once we move out of my parents' house(I'm a single mom who is moving into subsidized housing on October 1st) so we won't be able to have a tv. BUT I would love ideas on weanign her from it gently before that happens. I really don't want to deal with the tantrums and craziness while in the process of moving out of the home she's had for 3 days now and with the only grandparents she's ever known. I'm DREADING that move but wanting my own space now!
HELP ME TOO PLEASE!
Meg(and kudos to you seedgirl for wanting to wean from the tv! I think that's great)

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
we cut the tv off several months ago. i just closed the armoire doors on it. for about a week or so, dd would ask to watch tv, but i would just tell her that it was off and staying off, and would she like to do ________ instead? and i would offer to color with her or read to her or something. and she stopped asking pretty quickly.
we did have a rough weekend last week and i just couldn't be "on" for her, so i did let her watch a movie a day until i had my wits about me again. and now it's closed again, and she's fine with that.
it just takes some getting used to, and you may have to work extra hard (like you don't already, right!?) at planning activities for your older dd to keep her mind busy.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Kudos to you> I'm a hypocritical mama about this. I don't let my boys watch tv much (less than an hour a month), but dh and I do almost every night while they're sleeping. It gets easier once they stop thinking of it as an option when they're restless, they become so much more independant and imaginitive. I have no great ideas for weaning from it, as we didn't let them start. Although we have a big screen for dh and I, we have a 25" in the guest bedroom, that is very isolated from everyone else and when the rare occasion presents itself that ds1 can watch a 30 min video, he has to do it in there. Alone, and nothing to do when it turns off. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Yeah, I'm really hoping that when we move out of my parent's home that since we won't have the tv, it will be easier. We won't be able to afford one anyway so hopefully I can start turning it off more often and not have a problem. Oh boy, where to start!
Meg

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
you are so funny seed girl! you are right though....screw comcast! you are zobbied out or your kids and they want you to pay them. they are high! and i told them that! we share this house with my dad and he has digital and he told me that i had to pay his cable which is about 70.00. i said no and he said ok. no big deal. now how to wean the kids.... i just say "No tv, what else do you want to do?" it usually works. as soon as dh moves out, which cannot be soon enough, i'm killing the tv in a ritual death. i'm thinking of calling the media.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, kill me now!

One fallen, more to come?

Today, a nice man from comcast came by and reconnected our cable. My wife found out that you can STILL get standard (non digital) cable and she won...

sigh...

But, Im gonna make some hard and fast rules. Gonna put the doors back ON the armoire so we can close the sucker up and not look at it all the time wondering what useless crap is on.

Jannan, how're you going to dispose of the offending set? I have an idea: make it in to an art piece. Take out all the innards and put family pictures in it instead!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Oh man! She succumbed! NO! He he he. Well I do like the idea of putting family pictures into the set. That's just so ironic ya know????
Well let's hope you can convince your wife to kill the cable. We never had cable but my daughter loves movies. I can't wait to move out and not be able to afford a tv!!!! What a crazy thing to say soem people would think, but I am psyched!!!
Meg

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
TV is not a bad thing, it depends on how you use it. We have a huge collection of kid videos that I feel are appropriate for dd's age and she mostly watches those vs. regular TV. Dh and I like to watch PBS a lot, but only after dd goes to bed. I do make an exception for Dr. Phil but try to get dd down for a nap first. :)

We have our TV in our home office so if anyone wants to watch it they have to remove themselves from family life. We don't want the TV in the greatroom area because it competes with conversation. It's also too tempting to have it on as background noise. We have a 2 bedroom house with the office, and if in the future we have to make our office into a kids room the TV will either come into our bedroom, or we'll get a TV cabinet with doors that close.

I also have definite times dd can watch TV. She's allowed to watch it when she wakes up (she wakes up grumpy and it's easier to deal with her after she's seen a video and woken up fully). She's allowed to watch another one after her nap time. Dh and I also will use TV to distract her if we have to do bills together or something. When she's older she can read a book or play instead.

Darshani

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by USAmma

We have our TV in our home office so if anyone wants to watch it they have to remove themselves from family life. We don't want the TV in the greatroom area because it competes with conversation. It's also too tempting to have it on as background noise.
This is what I think, too. I'm fine with it in the bedroom, but not out in the family room. Thats my next strategy.

I dont think TV is bada either, but its soooooo easy to keep it on.

: )

SG

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I love the idea of throwing the tv out the window and smashing it to bits!!!!!
USAMMA, I don't beliee that tv is entirely bad either. I think it's okay when it's either tv for 20 minutes or mummy loses her mind, i think it's okay when the child is sick and miserable and needs some rest, etc. BUT I have a tendency to keep it on for noise and I see M sittign there like a zombie and I feel like the worst mummy in the world!!!!
Meg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts