Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've just started the composting fun here. I was wondering how essential straw is to the composting process. I'm in a pretty urban area and don't know when I'll get to the closest feed store (that's 30 miles away) to get some straw. The Rodale composting book I have from the library says straw is essential, but doesn't say how much or often I should throw some in the bin. Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,069 Posts
I never put straw in the compost...I wonder why the book describes it as essential? If anything, I try to avoid putting it in the compost because it normally has seed in it, and my compost doesn't get hot enough to kill seeds reliably.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ohhh - this is very good to know!! Trying to get the straw on a regular basis was the only down-side that I've come up with so far with composting. Now, I don't have to worry about it!!

I don't know if it makes any difference that our mixture is about 70% 'brown' stuff (grass clippings and leaves) and 30% green stuff from the kitchen?

Thanks!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,312 Posts
Quote:
I don't know if it makes any difference that our mixture is about 70% 'brown' stuff (grass clippings and leaves) and 30% green stuff from the kitchen?
Unless you are letting the grass clippings dry out thoroughly before adding them, they count as green material, as far as I know, so you probably have more green material than you thought.

Either way, it will all compost eventually. It will just get hotter and compost faster if you have the proper balance of browns and greens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Owen'nZoe ~ Thanks for your input. The grass is sometimes completely dried out and sometimes it isn't. So, I do have more green material than I had imagined. I'll start letting the clippings dry out more before I throw them in there.

We went to the beach this weekend and I got all sorts of seaweed. From what I remember, seaweed is also good for a compost pile. Of course, I read this (as well as straw being 'essential') in the library book that I have since returned, so I'm going to have to check that out for sure before I put the seaweed in there.

I'm really enjoying composting and my dc love throwing our 'stuff' in there.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top