Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK the OT at school (I work in a classroom for preschoolers with dev. delays) said the 'normal' age for a child to learn to drink from a straw is 2-2.5 yrs.

HOWEVER...I just used the same technique that we are using with our student who has CP to teach him to use a straw.....and in a matter of TWO MINUTES, he got it!! He is 12 months old.

I was hoping I would be able to do this, as the child hates sippys, won't use one.

Here's what you do. Go to Target, buy the plastic dispose-or-keep straw cups with lids. They come with straws too. They are about as spillable as a no valve sippy.
You can squeeze the cup a little and the liquid will come up some so dc doesn't have to suck as hard at first.
When you first try it, squeeze the cup with one hand, and put your other hand so your middle finger is under their chin and the pointer is pushing their bottom lip up by their mouth. This helps dc get a good seal to suck on the straw.

I did this, and within 2 minutes, DS had figured it out and just came over and did it ALL BY HIMSELF--no squeeze needed or anything! Now he just needs to learn not to tip the cup up because then the liquid isn't by the bottom of the straw!!

Just thought some of you might find this useful too...I just figured a sippy would be one more thing to wean off of evenutally and he doesn't even like the dang thing anyway. :p

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
That's great!! My dd has eating problems and was able to master a straw cup at around 14 mos. I did something similar with the squeezing. The disposable cups work best because there's no valve. Later I switched to valve cups.

Still waiting for her to drink from open cups . . .

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
2-2.5 yrs for drinking from a straw?
Is that for real?
Ok, not trying to toot my daughters horn, but she is 11.5 months and been drinking from a straw for 1.5 months now. Is that not normal? I do not remember exact dates for my other children, but around 12-15 months was the average for my 4 other babies.

·
Banned
1,192 Posts
Ours taught himself at about 8 months, without my meaning him to really. He just played with my straw cup a lot and one day I noticed he was sucking water up into it on his own & managing it just fine. He mostly does this in arms though -- he's pretty sloppy at it when he's sitting alone or running around in his walker (10 1/2 months now).

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
When I was typing reports for Nitara's feeding therapist for extra $$, I got the impression that straw drinking was expected at around 12-18 mos for a normal child. Open cup drinking could be achieved much earlier and was expected by 1 year old for a normal child. (My oldest didn't master an open cup until she was 2 and she has no delays.)

·
Registered
874 Posts
My son hated the sippy cup at first (now he loves it!) so we went right to the straw cup - he was doing it sometime before his first birthday - I'm pretty sure it's the sucking concept that makes it easy, and the fact that they don't have to lift the cup to drink. My son wouldn't lift the sippy, therefore frustrating the heck out of all of us.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
My 9yr old has them cups things with the straws....she thinks they are cool ..iLike them cause she doesnt spill her juice all over my white rug...

anyhow....my now 15 month old has been using them as well since she was 11 months old.....
so does that mean she is abnormal...

·
Registered
850 Posts
I taught my ds how to drink from a straw when he was about 9 months by sucking the liquid up the straw and then pinching it and putting it in his mouth. He would feel, I think, the back suction and counter act!

Weird that they are not expected to do that until 2ish, they suck everything in sight!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.