Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of all the times to get sick, I'm 39 weeks pregnant and think I have Strep A. My 4.5yo just went through his first-ever course of antibiotics...his lymph nodes were so huge we could see them across the room.
He's never been to our CNM for a checkup or anything, so when we called, she knew it was serious. Elliot was dx w/ strep A after beginning the course of antibiotics (at that point we knew we were dealing with something infectious and very probably bacterial) and was a WHOLE new person after the first 12 hours of medication...

My question is, how do I treat this at the end of pregnancy? I don't want to be on antibiotics and very probably fighting a yeast infection AND thrush (I get it myself with antiobiotic treatment) with a new baby...but I also don't want to be sick. My throat is raging and it's giving me awful headaches and body aches, as well. This is so sudden, and now my 10yo is feeling ill, too.

Any thoughts beyond vitamins and more water? Any ideas for battling the yeastie beasties with a (hopefully soon) brand-new baby? I have a hard enough time with oral thrush in my babies after birth WITHOUT antibiotic treatment...sigh.

Love, Penelope

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, MA mommy! This is just the kind of advice I was looking for. It's not quite 3 am here and I woke up an hour ago with a raging sore throat...It's the weekend, so I'll have to wait two days for antibiotics, but at least I'll know what to try with the meds once I get them.

Thanks again!

Love, Penelope

·
Registered
11,188 Posts

Oh, Penelope! I'm so sorry you're going through this! I wouldn't be surprised if your baby stays in just a little longer than otherwise. A lot of times they just know when mom isn't 100%. My DH was actually really sick around my due date during my last pregnancy. I started and stopped labor until he was able to be fully present for the birth.
(the stops/starts weren't fun, but I liked how my fast birth turned out with a healthy husband to support me)

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
If you take a course of anitbiotics eat several servings of yogurt a day - it will help keep away the yeast infection and upset tummy/intestines that often go with taking antibiotics. (Just be sure to eat real yogurt with live cultures, not frozen yogurt.)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Mamas.
I feel so much better.
I did have the yeastie beastie OUCH going on for a few days, and even had a false trial of labor last night that had me call the midwives and my Dh home...how embarassing is that on your fifth baby??? I think the end product (no baby) was partially due to the horrible rxn my gut has to antibiotics and partly due to the yeast side-effects. I'm getting better now. (I did end up putting myself on abx ---what I had in the house, my dad was a medical guy before his passing and as a result I have a lot at hand...) Took the kids to see the CNM on Monday (the ones who hadn't already been) and she said one very likely has scarlet fever rash...but no fever now and no sore throat... and the other is fine (and the toddler, thank goodness, is showing no signs).

Love, Penelope

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.