Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Place your bets (before we really start growing and showing) as to whether you'll end up with stretch marks, and why or why not.

Me, I know I have a tendency toward stretch marks, since I'm already covered with them from adolescence (they're all thin and silvery and pretty
). BUT, I also lost about 60 pounds in the last year+, so there's some definite extra room in my skin right now. (No congrats - all I did was get off a psychotropic med that caused CONSTANT weight gain, and it fell back off. Feel free to congratulate me on continued emotional stability without the meds though!
Paisley - no snark!
) So, I'm going to say... Yes. But primarily as extentions/widening of the stretch marks I already have (I'm totally in denial about the possibility of stretch marks over stretch marks).

Oh, and this is my first pregnancy past about 14-21dpo.

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
I have plenty of stretch marks from my pregnancy with my son. I gained 50 lbs. for that, and my body hasn't been the same since. I don't anticipate getting larger than that this time, or creating new stretch marks, though it's certainly possible. The stretch marks bothered me back then, but now I look at them as something like well-deserved natural tattoos.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
OH yes, I will have them. My first I was in complete denial. Told everyonhe i didn't have any. One of my friends looked at me really funny, my husband was painting my belly as a pumpkin for Halloween.Turns out I did, they were all below my belly button, where I couldn't see them. Had to have a long talk with my husband, that I would have been better off knowing now than after i had the baby and looking down at them

Second, actually got more, on thighs and hips.
This time so trying not to get more, oiling my belly as much as I can.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i dont have any
:

didnt get them the first two times and dont plan to this time

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
With all the weight I gained the first time around, I got mine. Belly, hips...And my big eater and the coinciding big boobs got the "girls" too.
:

I'm marked for life, though I fell lucky that they've faded to whitish/silver. If I get more this time around, I'll be surprised.

T

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I've already got 'em and I'm sure I'll get more!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I also don't have any on my abdomen, and I doubt I will this time either, but I did get some on my breasts because they went from size B to DD overnight when my daughter was born.
I really hated the stretchmarks, but now 4 years later I barely see them. This time my breasts seem to be growing more gradually .. maybe I'll be spared this time.
I'll accept it more gracefully this time if I do get them again.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm going to guess that I won't get any on my tummy since I did not with DD. However I now live in a city where there is a lot of good food around to tempt me so I could potentially gain more then 19 lbs. this time around. With DD we lived in a small town where I didn't have many food options so I did not eat as muh as I could have.
I have thin, silvery stretch marks on my breast and thighs from puberty but since I've had them for so long I'm use to them.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I have them from first pg and they have faded to silver but not gone away at all. My son (age 14) sometimes pets my belly lovingly and says, I made those... He seems to appreciate them and I love that he has learned from me that women are not as "perfect" as on tv. I don't think I will necessarily get any new ones but I am sure the ones I have will be put to the test. so much of it is genetics (look at your mom...) and if you get them or not is not so much under your control or even about how much weight you gain or don't gain. my mom, back in the era of starvation, only gained about 20 pounds with me and then my brother but she still has them on her belly.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Mmmm, good question. I have stretchmarks everywhere except my stomach, but I also gained 50-60 lbs last time around and I'm reeeeeally hoping not to repeat that. Since I have so many from last time I'm hoping the stretchmark fairy will pass me over this time.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Savmay
so much of it is genetics (look at your mom...) and if you get them or not is not so much under your control or even about how much weight you gain or don't gain. my mom, back in the era of starvation, only gained about 20 pounds with me and then my brother but she still has them on her belly.
I don't buy into this since my mom has tons of stretch marks on her belly and I don't have any. At first I thought I was destined to have tons of stretch marks like my mom but I've learned that diet plays an important role in whether or not you get them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am betting I will get them. (going with the 'genetics' theory). My mother didn't get any stretch marks with me, but got them with my brother. She didn't gain much weight, ate well, and still got them the second time around. I didn't get any with DD, but guessing I will this time around. No worries, though!

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
I have 'em on every other part of my body possible, but got none on my belly with DD, so who knows!!

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'll be covered in them for sure. I look like I've been ripped apart- my hips, belly, thighs, butt, even my calves are marked up. They'd turned white, but are starting to get red again :/

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have stretch marks from my daughter. I so freaked out when I went to a doctors visit and he said " you are starting to get stretch marks" They were low on my belly so I couldn't see them. But as soon as I got home I was bending over backwards trying to see them in the mirror. I was so upset. I was 18 when I got pregnant with my daughter so I had false hopes of not having stretch marks and going right back to my normal size. But how wrong was I. I was a 7/8 before I got pregnant. I was earlier this year 10/12 but due to stress I went up to a 15. I am so hoping not to gain to much weight since I am already over weight for my height. I am 5' and right now 169 1/2 pounds. I do realize that I am not going to be that 7/8 I once was but at least hoping after this baby I can get back to a 10/12. And I am really hoping for no more stretch marks.

Angela
: mommy to Alicia
wiffey to Mike and expecting #2

·
Registered
59 Posts
My boobs are covered in them already, so I'm hoping I don't get anymore there. (Where would they fit? LOL) I didn't get any on my belly but my gut feeling is that I won't be so lucky this time.

·
Registered
549 Posts
You know what I was very supprised after my daughter was born to find that I got streach marks in places I never new I could get them. I have them in my pubic regon. I had no idea you could get them there. LOL

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwyn
Feel free to congratulate me on continued emotional stability without the meds though!
Paisley - no snark!

Hey, no snark here! I've btdt and it's an awesome accomplishment!

I look like an albino zebra after ds, so the big question over here is whether stretch marks get stretch marks. I hope not!

Hapahaolegirl - What sort of dietary things affect stretchmarks?

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've heard fish oil can help skin elasticity, which is good, 'cause I'm on huge mega obscene doses of that stuff (6g/day) - how I stay off meds.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts